2011 YZ450F cuts out and dies

5 replies to this topic
  • Husker_Mike

Posted March 10, 2015 - 04:35 PM

I’ve got a problem with my 2011 YZ450F. During my second moto on Sunday, the bike just cut out. It didn’t stall like when you going into a corner with too much rear brake, or flame out. It died like it fouled a plug. It then wouldn’t start for at least 20+ kicks or bump start down a hill. After starting, half a lap later, same thing -- died out like it was fouling a plug. After it finally restarted it ran fine for the remainder of that moto, but I only had a couple laps left, so who knows if it will happen again. This was the first time this has happened to this bike. Bike is immaculate -- only 65 hours, fresh gas, valves in spec. Bike started right up this afternoon after a wash.

Using the Yamaha mild map, if that has anything to do with it.

Not sure where to begin with trouble shooting this. I do know that I don't want this to happen over a jump as the landing could be painful.

I really appreciate any help you can give me.

• torkd14

Posted March 11, 2015 - 08:15 AM

Start by plugging in your programmer and seeing if there are any codes the bike is spitting out. Kinda sounds like your fuel pump might be messing up but the fact the bike started again doesn't mean the pumps shot but maybe the filter is plugging off. 

• MxSkater86

Posted March 11, 2015 - 08:51 AM

Use the programmer first like said above and check to see if any codes pop up. I would also try disconnecting your kill switch. I had my 14 start cutting out randomly on me because the kill switch was messed up from a previous crash.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kurtcrf450

Posted March 11, 2015 - 06:04 PM

My 11 had a similar problem when the kills witch failed except it never started. Take the switch apart and if it's at all rusty replace it

• kcrpkx125

Posted March 12, 2015 - 09:57 PM

Just had an issue with my 2010 and found the injector plug had a loose terminal in it. Prior to that I had a issue similar and would agree with the other guys. Check you fuel pump it should had about 60psi and hold it. But check you pins in your plug first make sure all is tight. Same with the injector.

• Husker_Mike

Posted March 15, 2015 - 11:06 AM

No codes on the tuner. Going to check the kill switch and injector plugs, etc.

Thanks for the help so far!

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.