wheel bearing removal, HELP!

4 replies to this topic
  • sirthumpalot

Posted February 09, 2002 - 07:27 PM

I planned on greasing the wheel bearings tonight, but I couldn't get the back ones out so I didn't even attempt the front. I removed the snap ring and childishly expected that bearing to more or less slip right out, but no such luck. What's the trick to getting these things out without damaging anything? Do I have to purchase a bearing puller?

Thanks!

• scottzx7rr

Posted February 09, 2002 - 07:35 PM

Hammer and punch. Move the spacer(hollow tube) that is between the two bearing to get access to the inside of the bearing. Tap firmly and work your way around the bearing till she comes out. Normally about three hits and she is out. Then flip wheel over and remove the spacer, repeat process for this side. Grease the journals and place new bearing inside the hub.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted February 11, 2002 - 04:17 PM

Thanks very much for the tip, unfortunately it's not working for me so well. I cannot move that hollow tube anywhere, it's stuck in the center good. I even tried putting a plug half way down the hollow tube and putting the air hose in the other bearing. I was hoping that the air would leak around the center tube and force the bearing out. No such luck. :) I got good arm pump trying to hold in 125psi, but the bearings didn't budge... ggrrrr.... Anyone else have this much trouble?

• DaveJ

Posted February 11, 2002 - 11:06 PM

Sire,

There are notches on one end of the hub that keep the spacer from being pushed over.

If you can't move the spacer on one end, flip the hub over and try the other end.

DaveJ

[ February 12, 2002: Message edited by: DaveJ ]

• DaveJ

Posted February 11, 2002 - 11:16 PM

By the way....one of the things you can do to fine tune a wheel is to re-machine the hubs so that the excess press-in pressure does not pinch the bearing race. The bearings last longer and the wheel spins much easier.

I'm sure this translates into a small fraction of a benefit, but you'll be surprised what a lot of little things like this add up to in overall smoothness and performance.

DaveJ

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  113 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.