best alternative to Locus GPS...for older Android OS

I've got a Samsung S 4g phone sitting in the drawer (no cell service), and wanted load locus for my primary GPS for trails.  BUT locus needs minimum of Android 4.0....this one has gingerbread 2.3.6.  Bummed! 

I tried to figure out upgrade of OS, but not so great with smart phones. Stayed up to nearly 2:00 am reading about rooting, flashing, kies mini, odin, until my head nearly exploded. Doesn't seem like any surefire/easy way to do that.   So, thought I would find a decent app that does same "basic" thing as locus that can work on older Android. Nothing was jumping out at me. Thought I would toss it out to the tech savvy drz guys here to get thoughts. 

Can still just use my daily S4 (larger screen, faster) I suppose, but liked the idea of a "beater" gps/phone and leave my other one in my pocket as the backup. 

??

I've got a Samsung S 4g phone sitting in the drawer (no cell service), and wanted load locus for my primary GPS for trails.  BUT locus needs minimum of Android 4.0....this one has gingerbread 2.3.6.  Bummed! 

I tried to figure out upgrade of OS, but not so great with smart phones. Stayed up to nearly 2:00 am reading about rooting, flashing, kies mini, odin, until my head nearly exploded. Doesn't seem like any surefire/easy way to do that.   So, thought I would find a decent app that does same "basic" thing as locus that can work on older Android. Nothing was jumping out at me. Thought I would toss it out to the tech savvy drz guys here to get thoughts. 

Can still just use my daily S4 (larger screen, faster) I suppose, but liked the idea of a "beater" gps/phone and leave my other one in my pocket as the backup. 

??

The older versions of locus will run on 2.3.x    if you pm menion (the main developer on locus forum) he'll send you an apk with the older version. There won't be any updating locus though, because of the changes in android os. 

But, you asked about other software that is worthwhile on 2.3.x - so let's address that question. I always liked backcountrynavigator, dualsportmaps, and maverick. There are others, but locus and bcn were my favorites for the maps availability. 

I would have suggested updating your galaxy S's version via xda developers, but it sounds like you're past the point of caring for that process. Which is completely understandable. 

Go with the S4, and enjoy the really good screen/ memory / speed of it. The S can just be the 'backup' phone. After a year or two of doing that you'll stop carrying it, like i did, and just ride. ?

• Like 1

I miss that my s4 has version 4.2 or something higher. . Could you put your current sim card in your galaxy to get service for enough time to download the software update?

Only AT&T and T-Mobil use GSM phones with Sim cards that allow swapping cards between different phones to "activate" a spare. Sprint and Verizon phones with Sim cards use them to facilitate LTE, and swapping these cards to an inactive phone won't activate that phone because Sprint and Verizon use CDMA white lists to verify the phones that are allowed to access their networks.

Of course the OP never stated his carrier...

The older versions of locus will run on 2.3.x    if you pm menion (the main developer on locus forum) he'll send you an apk with the older version. There won't be any updating locus though, because of the changes in android os. 

But, you asked about other software that is worthwhile on 2.3.x - so let's address that question. I always liked backcountrynavigator, dualsportmaps, and maverick. There are others, but locus and bcn were my favorites for the maps availability. 

I would have suggested updating your galaxy S's version via xda developers, but it sounds like you're past the point of caring for that process. Which is completely understandable. 

Go with the S4, and enjoy the really good screen/ memory / speed of it. The S can just be the 'backup' phone. After a year or two of doing that you'll stop carrying it, like i did, and just ride. ?

I'll try BN...saw pretty good reviews on that one too.  I hope to get out enough to want to keep using it, as it makes me feel better about getting a bit deeper in the woods knowing where I'm at and where I'm going.  I downloaded all gpx for brown's camp here in oregon....was over 600 tracks!  With names so I know which one I'm getting into, what direction I should be going, and where connections are.  Just riding is great, until you're lost, hurt, out of fuel, or broke down. Especially on solo rides. 

Thanks for good input!

I'll try BN...saw pretty good reviews on that one too. I hope to get out enough to want to keep using it, as it makes me feel better about getting a bit deeper in the woods knowing where I'm at and where I'm going. I downloaded all gpx for brown's camp here in oregon....was over 600 tracks! With names so I know which one I'm getting into, what direction I should be going, and where connections are. Just riding is great, until you're lost, hurt, out of fuel, or broke down. Especially on solo rides.

Thanks for good input!

i ride solo to get milk.

if there is a knobby tie involved, I'm with some friends. when stuff happens in the woods, it's a good idea to have help. not trying to be your nanny or anything, but just what I've learned. ?

the firmware updates from carriers usually removes root, and prevents getting root again (fixes exploits) which is why my updates come from cyanogenmod and never the carrier.

?