Need help with my 2014 quick

4 replies to this topic
  • oceantrav

Posted March 06, 2015 - 08:22 AM

Ok, so bought a used 2014 yz450f that had 24 hours, I now have 35 on it.

There was a lot of gunk by the oil strainer. Got new o-rings and finally got around to pulling it out and cleaning it. The first picture shows some kind of lock tite, sealer, gasket, idk. It's a couple small hairs as shown in the picture. what would this be?

Anyways, so I replace the oring with a new one, there's only one right? Then I push the strainer back in the hole, and tighten the 10mm bolt that holds it in place. I tighten the bolt all the way, then check to see how tight the strainer is sitting in there. The stainer is very loose. You can pull it out a tad before it hits the bolt that's holding it In place. This can't be normal, right? What did I do wrong? The second picture is the strainer prior to re installing it.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg
  • image.jpg

Edited by oceantrav, March 06, 2015 - 08:23 AM.

• drtrcr400

Posted March 06, 2015 - 08:25 AM

Normal, as long as it doesn't leak. Your correct, only one o-ring. Also the sealer you see is likely the factory stuff that came off inside the case, looks like the original owner never cleaned the strainer. Enjoy the new ride!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oceantrav

Posted March 06, 2015 - 08:46 AM

Ya, the original owner deffinitly never cleaned it. Just seems odd there is so much play in it. Guess I'll ad oil and see what happens.....

• FRANTIK1

Posted March 16, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Ok, so bought a used 2014 yz450f that had 24 hours, I now have 35 on it.

There was a lot of gunk by the oil strainer. Got new o-rings and finally got around to pulling it out and cleaning it. The first picture shows some kind of lock tite, sealer, gasket, idk. It's a couple small hairs as shown in the picture. what would this be?

Anyways, so I replace the oring with a new one, there's only one right? Then I push the strainer back in the hole, and tighten the 10mm bolt that holds it in place. I tighten the bolt all the way, then check to see how tight the strainer is sitting in there. The stainer is very loose. You can pull it out a tad before it hits the bolt that's holding it In place. This can't be normal, right? What did I do wrong? The second picture is the strainer prior to re installing it.

The "small hairs" you have is the Yamaha sealer that came from the valve cover gasket, from the half moons. Had the same thing in my strainer from the previous owner. It will fall right down where the timing chain runs. You'll be able to see where it came from when you pull the valve cover for a valve clearance check. At the least you know someone checked the valves.

Edited by FRANTIK1, March 16, 2015 - 06:55 PM.

• yzUSMCf

Posted March 19, 2015 - 08:00 AM

I wondered the same thing about the movement . It's normal just don't do what I did and tighten the bolt down on the tall plastic peice were you grab it to pull out I cracked mine that way and I replaced it aswell as the new gasket. Looks like yours is cracked might aswell replace it it's cheap.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.