2003 wr450f headlight problems

5 replies to this topic
  • fasteddie45

Posted March 05, 2015 - 01:05 PM

I have a 03 wr450f and my headlight is super dim when idling (can't even see past front fender) and as soon as i start going the light seems fine for a couple of seconds then the bulb blows i changed the rectifier/ regulator same thing is still happening can someone help me out please

• thumper_calgary

Posted March 05, 2015 - 02:42 PM

You will need to measure your voltage at the headlight terminal. was it a new or used reg? could be the stator I suppose, are you sure you had the right bulb? the light circut is AC not DC. Not sure if that would make a difference or not....

• fasteddie45

Posted March 05, 2015 - 03:24 PM

I don't have a service book for the bike and every where i look wont give me an answer for the voltage on the headlight terminal. the rectifier is brand new yamaha oem. And i don't think it's the stator because my battery is holding a charge perfectly fine. And yes i have the right bulb.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toten

Posted March 05, 2015 - 07:00 PM

WR450s have two essentially separate electrical circuits. There are two poles off the stator. One of them goes to the regulator/rectifier, producing DC to the battery, starter, and CDI. The other goes to the lighting, and the regulator only side of the r/r. The regulator side is in parallel with the lighting. I'm guessing a bad ground on the r/r could lead to excessive voltage on the AC side. 

I managed to find a manual in perfect shape for $11 shipped off ebay. It's for an 04 rather than an 03 but there aren't many differences. I don't see any that cheap right now but keep your eyes open and pick one up when you see one. http://lolinter.net/...r450diagram.pdfis the wiring diagram, http://lolinter.net/wr450/WR450.pdf is a manual but it's trilingual and in my opinion not as good as the paper one. Good luck. 

Edited by toten, March 05, 2015 - 07:00 PM.

• fasteddie45

Posted March 05, 2015 - 08:03 PM

Okay I'll check that out thanks i appreciate the help

• thumper_calgary

Posted March 05, 2015 - 08:30 PM

13-14v AC at the headlight is what my manual says. Lighting coil resistance should be 0.224-0.336 ohms

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.