Removing headlight

4 replies to this topic
  • iggs

Posted March 04, 2015 - 08:57 PM

I dont need the headlight on my 2015 WR450F. I dont use it ever and it just goes misty in the sun. I'd rather take it off and put it in a box so when I come to sell the bike its nice and new. Plus there is a tiny bit of weight saving too :-)

I'd like to either swap the entire assembly for a YZ plate or just remove the actual light unit and put in a blanking plate.

What do you recommend?

Has anyone fabbed up a simple bracket for a MX style plate? I need to keep the space for the trip computer (actually now a trail tech voyager)

I'm sure I've once seen a blanking plate in a pic somewhere but I've searched and cant find anything. Is there one you know of for sale somewhere or an easy neat way to fab something? (NB it would need to be something I can make on the kitchen table)

Edited by iggs, March 05, 2015 - 12:06 AM.

• bobpara

Posted March 05, 2015 - 12:38 PM

There are a PILE of elec connectors etc behind that headlight

Once you remove all that an MX plate will not protect nearly as well

Will probably look like ShiX too

I'd put duct tape over the lens to prevent breakage and be done with it

Just my $0.02

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bobpara

Posted March 05, 2015 - 12:40 PM

Unless the thing has already been stripped of everything else already (blinkers, tail light, speedo)

Then I'd say 'What didnt you just buy a YZ?"

• iggs

Posted March 05, 2015 - 06:01 PM

Unless the thing has already been stripped of everything else already (blinkers, tail light, speedo)
Then I'd say 'What didnt you just buy a YZ?"

Because I need the electrics for powering the navigation gear and lights when the bike runs as a rally bike

When I'm using it as a desert desert bike though I don't need the light so replacing it with plastic removes the risk of it getting damaged for no reason

For the Baja races the light is a pita when it comes to running a number

I brought what I think is a yz plate yesterday from my local Yamaha dealer but it doesn't fit anywhere close

It's wrong shape around the front fender, it doesn't match up properly on the locating pins on the lower triple clamp and it's too short. I need to check a few things to find out why

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 05, 2015 - 07:53 PM

2009 YZ is the closest fit

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.