firstmsp rider course in NY

Has anyone taken the basic rider course to get the road test waiver to get a NY motorcycle license ? If so , what's it like ,what can I expect , what bikes do they provide etc ? It costs 275.00 and is a lot but easier than all involved with a road test . info@firstmsp.com is the one I mean ,thanks

dc

I took the Basic Rider Course in Albany around '06.  I already had a lot of offroad experience but my mom took it with me and she had basically no motorcycle experience. 

You start out in the classroom, learning the basics like countersteering and whatnot.  Then you go out and they very gently ease you into how to ride a motorcycle - several passes of paddling the bike with your feet to get a feel for the balance, then a few passes of just slipping the clutch to move to get a feel for that, then up to a full clutch out-give it gas-clutch in pass.  You work your way up from there with stuff like stopping drills, tight turns that get expanded into faster, wider turns, cone weaving drills, all that good stuff.  The one I did was a two day course and by the end, you will have the basic skills to ride a motorcycle on the street.  

The one I was at had mostly Suzuki 250s in a cruiser style (can't remember the name) since they have a crazy low seat height.  There was one Ninja 250 and one dual sport as well. 

If you can afford it, I would absolutely recommend doing it regardless of your experience level. 

Edited by OneLapWonder
  • Like 2

I took the Basic Rider Course in Albany around '06.  I already had a lot of offroad experience but my mom took it with me and she had basically no motorcycle experience. 

You start out in the classroom, learning the basics like countersteering and whatnot.  Then you go out and they very gently ease you into how to ride a motorcycle - several passes of paddling the bike with your feet to get a feel for the balance, then a few passes of just slipping the clutch to move to get a feel for that, then up to a full clutch out-give it gas-clutch in pass.  You work your way up from there with stuff like stopping drills, tight turns that get expanded into faster, wider turns, cone weaving drills, all that good stuff.  The one I did was a two day course and by the end, you will have the basic skills to ride a motorcycle on the street.  

The one I was at had mostly Suzuki 250s in a cruiser style (can't remember the name) since they have a crazy low seat height.  There was one Ninja 250 and one dual sport as well. 

If you can afford it, I would absolutely recommend doing it regardless of your experience level.

My wife took it maybe 20 years ago in AZ. I wasn't there but she said it was very good, and her riding improved.

It was also better than me teaching and yelling at her.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks for the info , I'm signed up for an April class and just wondered about it . I've ridden everything with handlebars since the mid 80's , off rd/ds type  bikes for 15 yrs or so. I have a plated exc and just wanted to finally get the mc license just so I can legally do a road section that connects sections of trail. Maybe just bomb around town a little. Too bad part of the course isn't hopping over a log across the trail or a rocky , loose hill climb , lol . Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just took mine last year in PA. Free for any licensed driver in our state. Pretty much as OneLap described it. Small displacement cruisers, tux250s are what I believe we used. No doubt they teach you the very basics. I think it is worth it to take the course, even at cost.

• 3 weeks later...

I just completed the 2 day class , Mon & Tue... Those guys from Groton do a great job . I suggest to anyone wanting a motorcycle license , SIGN UP FOR A CLASS ! They prepare you for the street  ,  If you think you already are , trust me your not . You will be after you take the class .

The bikes are Suzuki 250's , they are great to learn on . The instructors are tops , I never saw guys so passionate about what they're doing . They want you to have the necessary riding and safety skills to enjoy biking for years. So, coaches , bikes , location ....top shelf .  If in upstate  NY , 1-607-898-3339 

• Like 1