So I bought my first 2013 21hours used YZ450f yesterday...

26 replies to this topic
  • KTMfinrider

Posted March 04, 2015 - 09:02 AM

delete this.

Edited by KTMfinrider, March 04, 2015 - 10:27 AM.

• KTMfinrider

Posted March 06, 2015 - 11:34 AM

Ok lets try again.

I was so thrilled writing the opening post i decidedto delete it soon after. :lol:

So i bought few days ago slightly used 2013 yz450 it has been sit on garage since last august. I fired it up wednesday to warm it up for oil change. When i took the skidplate off i noticed little amount of blue liquid on the bottom of skidplate. There was also drop or two on weep hole of the water pump also.

So i put cup under water pump weep hole and not a single drop has come out in two days and i have also run the engine to warm and nothong has come out. Maybe it has been just over heated at some point or maybe over filled radiators and it squirted liquid it under the engine to the skid plate.

Lets see i will have first real ride tomorrow. I will kerp my eye on the weep hole thou.

• Crf250boss

Posted March 06, 2015 - 12:12 PM

Get the bike really hot by riding for a few mins,then watch the weep hole,also the radiator fluid should be just below the fins in the radiator

• KTMfinrider

Posted March 08, 2015 - 02:52 AM

Get the bike really hot by riding for a few mins,then watch the weep hole,also the radiator fluid should be just below the fins in the radiator

I had my short ride yesterday. I got the engine on the operating temperature and not a drop coming out.. Bike hasnt drip a drop sitting on the garage either. Checked the radiators and hasnt lost any coolant.

Maybe it has just sprayed coolant from hose from the radiator cap and some of the liquid squirted to water pump bottom.

I will keep my eye on the water pump and coolant level on radiators thou.

This bike feels really really good. Power is wicked and it is not that heavy feeling what I originally thought it might be. I am coming from ktm 300 and never rode big four stroke before.

• KTMfinrider

Posted April 10, 2015 - 09:19 AM

Bike is working flawless so far. The power is wicked on this vehicle. And It is not leaking shit, sorry for wrong call guys. I was so anxious because I had just bought the bike and saw the coolant and sh1t like that and my imagination started running, heh.

I have been riding always with two strokes, it feels weird no more jetting, no matter winter or summer, hot or cold, just give it a whip. :ride:  :thumbsup:

It is Winter here in Finland but spring is starting to take over. 

yJg1.jpg

yJgf.jpg

yJg3.jpg

Everything is frozen.

yJgD.jpg

Riding on Baltic Sea

yJg0.jpg

Whole Sea is like some sort Giant Ice Rink. 

Edited by KTMfinrider, April 10, 2015 - 09:26 AM.

• jcm3

Posted April 10, 2015 - 11:44 AM

Congrats on the new bike.

Such a different landscape!  There's so much water and snow there, and we're in our 5th year of drought!  It's absolutely beautiful all of the time, but man, we could use some rain!

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted April 12, 2015 - 08:57 AM

Congrats on the bike ... wow I love the pictures!  What is all that white stuff?  Looks like sand.

• yzdaddy

Posted April 14, 2015 - 03:52 AM

Congrats on the new bike.

Such a different landscape!  There's so much water and snow there, and we're in our 5th year of drought!  It's absolutely beautiful all of the time, but man, we could use some rain!                                                

We are also going into  our 5th year of drought as well here in the s.w. part of the state and it does suck. Hope you guys do get some rain.

• KTMfinrider

Posted April 14, 2015 - 10:27 AM

Thx guys.

I personally envy the places you americans ride. I love those deserts and mountain trails etc you got there.

It is pretty popular among finnish dirt bikers to ride in winter with studded tires. My personal favourite is when warm spring weather is starting to melt tge deep snow and then comes frozen night the surface of the snow turns out like cement. Snow is so hard it easily carries the weight of the dirt bike. All the logs, big rocks, stumps of trees etc. Where you in summer conditions crash and brake your bike are under snow. :thumbsup: You can pretty much ride where ever you want just everywhere.

Edited by KTMfinrider, April 14, 2015 - 10:31 AM.

• KTMfinrider

Posted May 09, 2015 - 03:23 AM

Had a nice ride week ago

yiad.jpg

yiaw.jpg

yiat.jpg

yiax.jpg

yiav.jpg

yiaU.jpg

yiaF.jpg

yiaP.jpg

yiaV.jpg

yiaM.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2015 - 06:41 AM

You may notice, in this very cold weather you're riding in, that the oil will pick up a strong smell of gasoline.  This is because there is no thermostat to regulate a minimum temperature, and with the outside air so cold, the coolant never gets warm enough to take the fuel injection system out of its "cold start" mode, and the bike runs rich because of it.  

If you find this happening, try covering all or most of one radiator with a piece of cardboard.  It works.

• KTMfinrider

Posted May 09, 2015 - 09:52 AM

You may notice, in this very cold weather you're riding in, that the oil will pick up a strong smell of gasoline.  This is because there is no thermostat to regulate a minimum temperature, and with the outside air so cold, the coolant never gets warm enough to take the fuel injection system out of its "cold start" mode, and the bike runs rich because of it.  

If you find this happening, try covering all or most of one radiator with a piece of cardboard.  It works.

Wow, thx again for this information. :thumbsup:  I would have never thought about efi+thermostat causing things like this.

So this leads me to question what are common symptons of 4 stroke running rich? I am asking this because there was some funny noises from the exhaust bike made when I rode in cold weather. And now when weather has been much warmer bike has not made those noises.

Anyway, bike has been working great, flawless. Man I love the power of big four stroke compared to two strokes I have had earlier. It is heavy on very tight tracks but otherwise I like this machine. Im still learning this vehicle SO much different things that it was with ktm300 2t. 

EDIT.Just came in my mind bike spends clearly lesser fuel now in warm wheather than when it was winter and cold weather. Could this also be related to thing bike being "cold start mode" ?

Edited by KTMfinrider, May 09, 2015 - 09:59 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2015 - 06:15 AM

Just came in my mind bike spends clearly lesser fuel now in warm wheather than when it was winter and cold weather. Could this also be related to thing bike being "cold start mode" ?

Yes.  That's been a common comment about them.   The thing is that in very cold weather, the engine will actually want more fuel, so to some extent, the problem will be concealed by that fact.  The engine won't run badly, just use more fuel than it actually needs.

Four-strokes are a lot more tolerant of fuel mixtures that are not ideal, whether they are lean or rich, than two-strokes are, so the mixture has to really be way off before it shows up as a "symptom". 

• KTMfinrider

Posted May 10, 2015 - 09:03 AM

What is all that white stuff? Looks like sand.

It is ice and white areas are snow which watery snow and frost has made iron hard. Those are wicked times to ride because you can ride everywhere and surface of the snow is smooth.These times only comes in when spring is taking over the winter.

• Wiz636

Posted May 10, 2015 - 07:20 PM

Cool pics...looks like you have a lot of area to ride!

What kind of bar clamps are on your bike?

• KTMfinrider

Posted May 11, 2015 - 03:47 AM

What kind of bar clamps are on your bike?

Lower triple clamp is yamaha's own but the upper clamp and the bar clamp are BUD RACING cnc machineried. It gives firm steering and they dont move out of the position as easily than original cast ones when you crash. I like the bar clamp attach on triple clamp As well.

First owner of the bike was massive behemoth 6'4'' and he wanted to raise handlebar a bit so the bar clamp are little bit higher as you noticed.

Edited by KTMfinrider, May 11, 2015 - 03:50 AM.

• KTMfinrider

Posted May 26, 2015 - 08:34 AM

Question about those top end parts which came with bike...

Am i correct that it has two sets of rings and two sets of oil rings. I mean there are new rings for two change? If so i dont quite understand those rings... there are two rings which has red marks on them and outer side of the ring is metal color and then other two rings has grey marks on them and are fully black. I dont get it...?!

• grayracer513

Posted May 26, 2015 - 09:08 AM

Customers in the U.S. do not receive any spares with the bike.  Only a couple of small tools.

If you have two ring sets, bear in mind that the first and second compression rings are different from each other.  In older YZ450's, they can't be misplaced as one is slightly too thick to fit the other's groove.  This may no longer be true, but in general, the black ring is the second, and the lighter gray color the top.

• KTMfinrider

Posted May 26, 2015 - 10:22 AM

Greyr. I had tolook them closer again and it looks like the darker ring is thicker and it is different shape from outer side. I will post pics tomorrow.

Anyway i need to check manual if it tells something. And besides when it is time to open the top end i will see from the old piston how they should be i reckon.

• grayracer513

Posted May 26, 2015 - 10:28 AM

If one is thicker, that one won't go in the wrong place.  You may not be able to tell from the used rings except for any shape differences.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.