1999 Yamaha YZ400F- Should I buy?

4 replies to this topic
  • Peter S.

Posted March 03, 2015 - 08:19 PM

Hello all,

I'm considering buying a 1999 yz400f. Anything I should know about this bike? Pros/cons? Is it a pita to maintain? Thanks in advance.

• Thommo_400f

Posted March 04, 2015 - 01:30 PM

Good bike, heaps of parts. Great power.

Has Manual Decomp for starting... so you need to practice "the drill" to be efficient at starting.

A 1999 bike is a time bomb as far as the bottom end goes. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2015 - 02:21 PM

Pro:

Powerful

Reliable (in good condition)

Probably cheap to buy

Stainless valves as OEM equipment.  Much cheaper than Ti.

Con:

Heavy for its class

Old: nobody makes aftermarket stuff for it anymore, and genuine replacement parts can be difficult to get

Carb: old design FCR was fussy when new, is probably worn, and can be nearly impossible to tune or repair when old and worn. (but it can be swapped for a new 450 carb)

Suspension: 4 generations old.  Forks were never great when new.

Uses 7/8" bars.

Little or no resale value

• import silvia

Posted March 05, 2015 - 08:53 AM

I bought one for a grand about a month ago and I love it. I haven't had a bike in nearly 30 years so I have no frame of reference and I don't ride MX so being competitive is not a concern, but it puts a huge smile on my face when I turn the throttle!

I did get a '07 450 carb and that made a huge improvement in ease of starting and eliminated some backfiring I was having. It literally fires on one kick from cold or hot.

For me the benefit is I just want something fun, so might as well get something that has had all of its depreciation taken out of it and then if I want something else I can get close what I put into it.

• Peter S.

Posted March 05, 2015 - 06:11 PM

I bought one for a grand about a month ago and I love it. I haven't had a bike in nearly 30 years so I have no frame of reference and I don't ride MX so being competitive is not a concern, but it puts a huge smile on my face when I turn the throttle!

I did get a '07 450 carb and that made a huge improvement in ease of starting and eliminated some backfiring I was having. It literally fires on one kick from cold or hot.

For me the benefit is I just want something fun, so might as well get something that has had all of its depreciation taken out of it and then if I want something else I can get close what I put into it.

I ended up buying it for under 1000, and I completely agree in regards to depreciation. I figured it runs and rides great, so the price really can't get any lower. I love it so far!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.