Knobby tires on the road.... Wibble wobble!

50 replies to this topic
  • rah7777777

Posted March 03, 2015 - 11:05 AM

Hello all.

I have Michelin AC10 tires on my street legal WR450. I'm not concerned about them wearing too fast as I wanted an aggressive off road tire for when I play off road. But when I hit about 50'ish mph on concrete she starts acting like she wants to tank slap, very odd feeling.

I'm fully assuming this is due to the aggressive tire, would a steering stabilizer help reduce this?

I don't ride her on the street much but when I do is prefer a smoother ride if it's possible.
But don't want to give up the off road traction.

If that all makes any sense...
Thanks

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 03, 2015 - 01:45 PM

Raise the air pressure to above 25 for street

Steering damper

....Kenda Parker DT if you want a real tire that lasts on the street.

• rah7777777

Posted March 03, 2015 - 04:57 PM

I like those tires. I'll give those a shot next time.

I run 25/28 psi on the street.

Do you think the damper will make a noticeable difference?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 03, 2015 - 05:04 PM

I like those tires. I'll give those a shot next time.

I run 25/28 psi on the street.

Do you think the damper will make a noticeable difference?

Not on the street, unless you are on the gas, in a corner, with rain grooves....and even then it will have to be set TIGHT.

• flyandride

Posted March 03, 2015 - 05:43 PM

I have a Dunlop D 606 on the back and Pirelli scorpion on the front, 14 PSI.  Both DOT knobbies.  They don't ride like street tires but no handling problems at any speed.  Are your wheel bearings and suspension bushings OK?  

• rah7777777

Posted March 03, 2015 - 09:55 PM

I think all my bearings and bushings are okay. On center stand nothing feels out of whack when yanking on any of the tires or suspension.

I had some Shinko street tires on it when I bought it and those ran pretty smooth with no wobble.
My friends wr250r has a bad wobble when the wind hits you just right past about 79 mph. That scared the crap out of me! Just stiffen your arms and slowly let off gas and it goes back to normal.

This isn't that bad on my bike, more of a flat tire feeling.

Thanks everyone.

• rah7777777

Posted March 03, 2015 - 09:57 PM

But my bike doesn't go nearly as fast as his and I can't imagine going over 60 on mine on concrete.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 04, 2015 - 06:15 AM

But my bike doesn't go nearly as fast as his and I can't imagine going over 60 on mine on concrete.

...sounds like your wheels are not balanced and true then.....60 should not be any different than 30.

• stevethe

Posted March 04, 2015 - 06:25 AM

I'm not aware of the stock triple clamp dirt bikes wiggling. I have 17mm triples on mine and it does not wiggle. The supermoto bikes do wiggle with 13mm triples on them however thats over 100MPH a steering damper fixs it at that speed.

Check your rims for trueness and see if your tires are properly seated on the rims.

• rah7777777

Posted March 04, 2015 - 08:25 AM

Thanks guys! I know the tires are seated well as I did them and spent forever getting all the edges to pop in place correctly.

Rims true? Hmm I have not checked that!
They are not balanced either. I didn't see a point with an off road style tire.

I'll have to look further into the rims.

Thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted March 04, 2015 - 09:16 AM

I run mine on the street with knobbies all the time and never have any problems.

12 psi in the front and 10 in the back.

I'm sure your problem is something like a tire not being seated correctly.

• toten

Posted March 04, 2015 - 10:27 AM

My supermoto has a little wiggle past 70ish but supermotos with stock triples/ride height have significantly less stable geometry (less rake, way less trail). 

• Firefighter654

Posted March 05, 2015 - 07:16 PM

I just finished the build up on my new bike. Took it for a ride and as expected the wheels are out of balance (dramatically) because of the rim locks. Put the front wheel on the balancing stand and wound up adding two ounces of spoke weights to the front and rear, pretty much 180 degrees from rim lock. Took if for a spin, problem solved, very smooth up to 70.

• toten

Posted March 05, 2015 - 07:53 PM

For the rear, if you want to balance it I'd strongly consider running 2 beadlocks. It is a little bit more work, but you end up with that much weight back there somehow, whether it's the second lock or a bunch of weights. 

• rah7777777

Posted March 06, 2015 - 06:58 AM

Very good point! I didn't think about the rim lock making it off balance!

Tires are seated perfectly on the rim. No dips or bulges.

I'll look into some weights for now and get an extra rim lock for my next tire change.

Anyone tried those Dyna beads? I've always been skeptical.

• SilvFx

Posted March 06, 2015 - 03:59 PM

I think WR450F is one of the smoothest bikes out there.  Something is wrong.  I have a 2010 Husaberg FE450 that does not feel comfortable at 60 even with the wheels trued, and tires/wheels balanced due to something with the suspension and steering geometry (feels like head shake).  A buddy rides an '09 WR450F and that thing tracks right where you point it with no surprises....so I bought a used '07 WR450F myself    Same thing with mine.  We have had these to 70+ mph on asphalt and dirt roads and they track straight with knobbies and 12 psi front/10 rear and no wheel balancing.  Running Maxxis Desert IT in rear and Dunlop MX51 or MX52 in front.  No steering damper.

If you balance the wheels, use lighter weight rim locks (2 on rear + 1 on front).  Make sure they are trued and the bearings are good.  If you still have issues at speed, make sure your front forks aren't bent, and are adjusted correctly.  Check to make sure frame/wingarm are not bent either and swing arm and steering head bearings are not worn and are properly lubed.

Also, I don't understand your comment that your buddies WR250R is faster than your WR450F.  Depends on what you mean by faster, perhaps it is geared higher and has a higher top speed, but the WR450F should be significantly faster all the way up to about 85 mph with stock gearing.  Don't give up, the WR450 should be a very stable bike without a steering damper.

• rah7777777

Posted March 06, 2015 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the help guys!

I should note in the dirt, I have not experienced the wobble. Only on concrete. I'm not sure how fast I've had it in the dirt, but fast enough...

It is lowered a couple inches since I'm half midget at 5'5".

And yes I meant higher top speed for my buddies wr250r.

Mine has much faster acceleration but he'd eventually pass me with his 6th gear :-)
I've had his in the 80's on the highway. But his did do a similar "tank slap" motion on the highway and scared the piss out of me!! He said if the winds just right and you hit about 77 or higher the bars will shake real bad. I was going about 80 and only thing to do is man handle the bars and let off the gas.

• Jon E

Posted March 07, 2015 - 02:34 PM

knobbies_3.jpg I am using my wr450f 09 all year, mostly on highway (10 000 miles a year). In winter times, i use knobbies - and they are all knobbies_1.jpg knobbies_2.jpg horrific in speeds above 65 miles. The whole bike starts to shake and rattle. Centrifugal force i guess. I use 50/50 street/offroad tyres in the summer, an it works smooth up to top speed (around 95 miles, 15/47 gears).

Edited by Jon E, March 07, 2015 - 02:46 PM.

• Nuklhed

Posted March 08, 2015 - 03:58 PM

I had AC10s on my bike, right off the showroom floor.  I wish I would have never listened to the salesman.  The front was narrower than the same size Scorpion.  The rear starting showing signs of wear after 100 miles that were ridiculously too much.  MT43 on the back, Scorpion mid-hard up front and I've never been happier.

The AC10s are rotting in a landfill somewhere.  Worst tire ever for me.

Hello all.

I have Michelin AC10 tires on my street legal WR450. I'm not concerned about them wearing too fast as I wanted an aggressive off road tire for when I play off road. But when I hit about 50'ish mph on concrete she starts acting like she wants to tank slap, very odd feeling.

• SurfaceToAir

Posted March 08, 2015 - 11:00 PM

I just put scorpions on my plated wrf450 and now have a similar issue on the freeway. Not super bad but it does shake a little up front. I've only ridden it once on the freeway - seemed like the knobbies were tracking in the grooved surface. Spooky.
I've a bunch of dyna beads. Might put some in the front to see if it improves anything. Mu dunlops didn't have this issue. Guess the scorpions are gripping a lot better and not rounded down yet.

Cheers-
Dustin

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.