87 xr600 carb problems help please

5 replies to this topic
  • jrhotrod

Posted February 11, 2004 - 03:49 PM

Hey guys just thought id try this before sending to a mechanic.I have 2 87 xr600s with the dual carb setups and i am having problems with both of them.the problem is that at times it seems like the bike wants two snap your your head off and at other times it seems like they couldnt even get out of there own way.I have had the carbs off numerus times cleaning and adjusting too honda specs and it just doesnt seem to make a difference.the bikes are stock no mods and the only way i have found to get them to run right is by tapping on the side of the float bowls.I have good spark and filters are clean gas is abundent to the carbs anyway
does anyone have any suggestions.These bikes haul but when running good i have a 92 600 and it cant even come close to the kind of power the dual carb 87 puts out. :)

• XR250rdr

Posted February 11, 2004 - 03:58 PM

If youre having problems with the floats sticking, try replacing the float needles.

• jrhotrod

Posted February 12, 2004 - 04:13 PM

i replaced them on one of the bikes carbs and it still did didnt help i dont think that was the problem.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • combineman

Posted February 12, 2004 - 06:07 PM

Have you ruled out electronic problems. I had a street bike that would run funny sometimes. The problem was a corroded wiring connection. Good Luck. Lance

• gfergtr74

Posted February 12, 2004 - 09:41 PM

I ran into a simmilar situation on one of these. Bike would run great one moment and the next act way rich. Turned out to be the CDI box.

• jrhotrod

Posted February 15, 2004 - 07:13 AM

I suppose ill tri a new cdi box im out of patience with these things.Would any of ya know what an 87xr600 is worth in good shape i was thinking around 1,200 bucks but maybe thats high considering i paid 1,500 7 years ago.

Related Content

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 1 reply

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  47 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.