2009 rear shock question

8 replies to this topic
  • Kcizik

Posted March 02, 2015 - 09:32 AM

So I've decided to put my bike up for sale.  

Someone came to look at it and said my rear shock is too soft.  He said the adjustment was backed all the way out and that meant the shock was bad.  Now I know the shock is not bad, however my knowledge of suspensions is not a strength of mine.  

So bestow upon me knowledge, how soft is too soft and how do I set this bad boy up?

• flyandride

Posted March 02, 2015 - 12:08 PM

A lot of it is personal preference and riding style.  The stock spring is supposed to be right for a 160 lb rider.  If he was a heavy rider it could be too soft.  There are adjustments to the compression and rebound damping.  Compression damping is the screw on top, rebound is on the bottom.  And the sag needs to be adjusted for the rider.  Sounds like you need a service manual if you don't have one.  All the adjustments are well explained in it.  A good thing to do is to back the adjustments all the way out and take it for a spin.  Then turn them all the way in and ride again.  Then turn the screws a couple clicks at a time and ride until you get it feeling right.  

• Monk

Posted March 02, 2015 - 12:12 PM

The buyer was a idiot...

• Monk

Posted March 02, 2015 - 12:13 PM

First and foremost make sure you have a proper springs for your weight.. After that it's a matter of playing with clickers...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DrFeelGood

Posted March 02, 2015 - 12:18 PM

The buyer was a idiot...

I've said things like this before when going to look at a craigslist bike. 

If the bike was an obvious POS, and the owner didn't have a clue about maintenance or basic care, I'd say, "the chain is on up-side down", or "the front shock seals are blown, you can tell by how spongy the rear brakes feel."

It was just an easy way for me to look like an idiot so I didn't have to entertain any kind of small talk with the seller or potential offers of cash regarding a junk bike that I didn't want to bother loading up.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 02, 2015 - 07:23 PM

So I've decided to put my bike up for sale.  

Someone came to look at it and said my rear shock is too soft.  He said the adjustment was backed all the way out and that meant the shock was bad.  Now I know the shock is not bad, however my knowledge of suspensions is not a strength of mine.  

So bestow upon me knowledge, how soft is too soft and how do I set this bad boy up?

Specificially, that guy's statement makes on sense whatsoever and you should ignore it.

If the shock has never been serviced, it will be soft. 

That' what happens.

If YOU think it's too soft, turn the compression adjuster in a bunch of clicks.

• Kcizik

Posted March 02, 2015 - 07:30 PM

Specificially, that guy's statement makes on sense whatsoever and you should ignore it.

If the shock has never been serviced, it will be soft. 

That' what happens.

If YOU think it's too soft, turn the compression adjuster in a bunch of clicks.

Thanks for all the input. So what is entailed in a rebuild? Changing the oil and add nitrogen? I've look for a basic seals kit, but it doesn't seem that there's one.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 02, 2015 - 07:59 PM

Thanks for all the input. So what is entailed in a rebuild? Changing the oil and add nitrogen? I've look for a basic seals kit, but it doesn't seem that there's one.

Have it done professionally, unless you want to buy a bunch of tools you will only use once.

• Kcizik

Posted March 03, 2015 - 04:38 PM

Have it done professionally, unless you want to buy a bunch of tools you will only use once.

Thanks I understand. Time to see what this Central American country has to offer.
Btw; the riding down here is awesome

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.