Need help getting front axle out

7 replies to this topic
  • WilfulLemar20

Posted March 02, 2015 - 12:33 AM

I am fairly new to the yamaha bike and am confused on how to get the axle removed do you have to find an Allen wrench that size to turn the axle out or does the axle just slide out? All advice is apriciated thanks

• ThumpMe

Posted March 02, 2015 - 09:03 AM

After you loosen the pinch bolts on BOTH sides of the forks it will just slide out. Sometimes I use a soft rubber mallet to get it started. 

• WilfulLemar20

Posted March 02, 2015 - 09:16 AM

Good to hear my right side fork seized on at the moment I put some wd 40 on it waiting to see if that helps any

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2015 - 09:26 AM

If you want to build a simple but crude tool to use in the socketed end of the axle, pop down to any hardware outlet and pick up a 2 or 3 inch long 1/2 inch USS or SAE bolt and two nuts.  Jam the nuts together on the end of the bolt, the insert either end into the axle.  The 3/4" hex head fits nicely.   That will allow you to spin the axle in the lugs to help free it, to to help with fork alignment on reassembly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Wiz636

Posted March 02, 2015 - 10:23 AM

I have a one of those cheap chainsaw tools for adjusting the bar/chain that fits right in there.

• WilfulLemar20

Posted March 02, 2015 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for the help guys

• grayracer513

Posted March 02, 2015 - 11:38 AM

I have a one of those cheap chainsaw tools for adjusting the bar/chain that fits right in there.

As does the small end of the OEM tool kit spark plug wrench, if you still have that.

• WilfulLemar20

Posted March 02, 2015 - 01:52 PM

I finally got it out and wow where the bearings bad ppl need to maintain their bikes better lol now have to take the rim to a buddy's to get a stubborn race out will have new bearings Wednesday come snow or sun I will ride it lol

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.