yz450 big bore over heating

25 replies to this topic
  • WilfulLemar20

Posted March 04, 2015 - 03:05 AM

Seems a little out there but I will give it a try

• x_JT_x

Posted March 04, 2015 - 07:38 AM

Why do you think that? It's the correct way to do it. If you are doing it any other way, you aren't doing it right.

• grayracer513

Posted March 04, 2015 - 08:02 AM

The throttle chop method used to be the way to tell something about the main jet, but only the main jet.  Furthermore, if you are using unleaded gasoline, reading the plug will tell you nothing at all about the jetting because the lead in the fuel is where the color came from.  A correctly jetted engine with the right heat range spark plug will produce a bone white plug when using this method, and won't tell you a thing.  The only information you can get from looking at the plug anymore is whether the ignition is OK, and whether the plug is the right heat range.

If you want to get serious about rejetting, follow this:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • x_JT_x

Posted March 04, 2015 - 09:51 AM

I'm on old info then. My own experience with that method is on a couple 04 bikes and a couple jetskis. It works well for jetskis, and the 04's at least.

• CRFsandspitter

Posted March 19, 2015 - 10:09 AM

Problem was fuel air mixture screw

• NitrousR1

Posted March 19, 2015 - 01:40 PM

That's a old wives tale from the 70's when they started fading out leaded fuel.
Plug chops work just as well with unleaded fuels. We tune our cars on the dyno before each race with wideband air/fuel sensors on each cylinder and read the plugs after each pass. You can read any jetting changes off the plug each pass. I can then look at the data logger from each pass and verify the air fuel ratio. We plug read as a backup to verify the A/F Sensors are OK and not melt down a $30,000 engine.

This is the same for leaded or unleaded fuels.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.