Magnetic Drain Plug

19 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 06, 2001 - 12:14 PM

I am looking for a Magnetic Oil drain plug. I remember reading about one in Motocross Action Magazine. They had a picture of it holding up a cam from a bike. Does anyone remember seeing this add or know where I can get one for my WR426. I want one that has the balls to do the job. Not a whimpy magnet! Thanks,
Dennis

• Bill

Posted May 06, 2001 - 12:47 PM

Dennis,

The plug was the Ty Davis model, you can get them from Terry Cable.

I'm running the GYT-R aluminum plug with magnet in my 99. I'm going to do my first oil change, with the new plug this week. I don't think the stock plug has the same magnetic strength as the TD model. That thing was awesome.

Bill

------------------
97 KDX220, 86 TTR225, 99 WR400f, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Cycra Pro-Bend hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC, Rausch Creek MXC, Tower City Trail Riders.

• Clark_Mason

Posted May 06, 2001 - 02:52 PM

I have run the GYT-R aluminum type magnetic drain plung in my 99 WR fro the past 2 years and it works just fine, you get it from Yamaha. I bleieve Moose makes a alloy one that is a little cheaper.

Cheers

Clark

• DRZ400PA

Posted May 06, 2001 - 06:17 PM

A magnetic drain plug is stock equipment on a DRZ...

• Bryan Bosch

Posted May 07, 2001 - 02:52 AM

WR: awesome motor and suspension stock
DRZ: magnetic drain plug stock

Uh, I'll take the Yami! :)

• mcarp

Posted May 07, 2001 - 03:18 AM

Moose does make a magnetic drain plug for about $13. I found lot's of crud on it the first 6-7 oil changes (installed it before riding the first time). Now after a year only a very small amount of debris is found on the plug.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 07, 2001 - 01:47 PM

Bryan thats funny!!! :)
Dennis

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 17, 2001 - 02:00 PM

I installed my Ty Davis drain plug. And I was surprised that this thing really can pick up a 18 inch pipe wrench. I am hoping that it won't affect my stator! :) Anyway this thing really works great. I would recommend this piece for any WR owner that wants to buy some cheap insurance. Thanks everyone for there help, and thank you Ty Davis for the fine product. :D
Dennis

• trailguy

Posted May 17, 2001 - 02:35 PM

You can make your own for a few bucks. Go to Radioshack and ask for a pack of "Rare earth magnets" They are very small (1/16"x 1/4" ) and will adhere themselves to your plug. They are very strong, and very flat, and when you pull your plug you can remove them and wipe everything clean. you could also drill the end of your plug to recess the magnet out of the way.

• Bill

Posted May 17, 2001 - 02:36 PM

Den,

Next time you change the oil, let us know how much crud the plug has on it. I did my first oil change after installing my GYT-R unit and only got fine metal out of the engine. I had some larger pieces in the oil filter.... nothing huge, just the normal sized stuff. If you get bigger peices on your plug, I'll switch.

Nothing is to good for my baby :)

Bill

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • EMARacing

Posted May 18, 2001 - 03:40 PM

Mine from GYT-R leaked. It's almost like the threads were a fraction of a mm too small. Went back to stock plug and had no problems.

------------------
John E. Walker

• mdek

Posted May 20, 2001 - 07:45 AM

Where can you buy the ty davis magnetic plug from. I have tried a few places with no luck.

Thanks

Mark

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 20, 2001 - 08:05 AM

John, I hope you used the washer they included with the plug. :)
Mark, Look up TerryCable on the net, they have them.
Dennis :D

• chris_Abel

Posted May 20, 2001 - 12:10 PM

Whats the point in a magnetic drain plug!?
When the bike is fitted with an oil filter.

• YZ400Court

Posted May 20, 2001 - 12:27 PM

Beyond awsome motor, spongey suspension and magnetic drainplug all stock on my new KTM 520 EXC also :)

Terrycable http://www.terrycable.com/

------------------
Pretend it's flat and give it the gas.

[This message has been edited by YZ400Court (edited 05-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by YZ400Court (edited 05-20-2001).]

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 21, 2001 - 12:30 PM

Chris,

The magnetic is cheep insurance to catch metal in case the filter cannot screen it. Or catch it before some serious damage happens to your motor.

Dennis

• JBM

Posted May 22, 2001 - 06:33 AM

You can also get them at www.ziptyracing.com

• wayneoXCF

Posted May 27, 2001 - 06:46 PM

If anyone can find "magnetic drain plugs", on the terrycable site, I'll give you a million. I did a search and came up with rabbit ears.

• Linemup1320

Posted May 29, 2001 - 08:23 AM

Just call them. I ordered one for my WR & one for the wifes TTr( same one btw). I had quite a bit of crud on mine yesterday when I changed the oil. Not much on hers yet.

• imported_Scott_H

Posted May 29, 2001 - 05:24 PM

wayneo,

click on http://ziptyracing.com/index.htm and click on Drain Plugs under the parts list.

$16.95!!! (good thing it comes with the copper washer)

I've been running one I got from Moose, but its magnet will NOT pick up an 18" pipe wrench. On the other hand, it doesn't leak either...

scott

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.