XR600R clutch basket (removal and wear)

Hello Gang

I'd appreciate some help pleasey.

1. I'm having difficulty removing the large centre nut in the clutch basket. The handle on the tool to hold the centre is bending. The handle has now been braced, but still no joy. This not does have a reversed thread on it does it?

I'll get another body to help me as it may be a 2 man job?

20150228_133152_zpsvpcrt8az.jpg

2. The reason for dismantling the clutch is since the bike not being used for 5 months, after a short short time the drive will not disengage when the clutch lever is pulled. There is significant wear on both parts of the basket from the clutch plates, this wear can be seen around 1 to 2 o'clock in this image. Could this be the reason the drive wont disengage?

20150228_133134_zpst5dagbhp.jpg

Thank you in advance,

SneakyMcC

Edited by SneakyMcC

Mr BrianHares words are these..Clutch nut ==> counter clock is off..

Whats that tool your using to lock the clutch,,looks like nothing I've seen before.,,careful if it's some wonked up makeshift tool or something may snap on the baskets..

With the grooves on the inner and outer baskets,,I wouldn't worry about filing those ones out of the smaller one of the two..Just do the grooves in the larger outer one and you should cure the slipping clutch carry on..

and I'm not sure if the grooves would cause the clutch to not disengage,,What the grooves normally cause is clutch slipping under load..What that means is if you are in say 3rd,,4th or 5th and give the bike more gas with the throttle the bike doesnt go any faster,,Motor winds up as normal but the powers not transferred through the gearbox as the plates aren't disengaging correctly..least that;s my story...Pay to put some new fibre plates in the bike as well just to make sure they are ok..

Answered myself really,,yeah the grooves will cause the plates to not disengage,,so correct on your assumption..

Edited by Horri

Thanks Horri

The tool was bought specifically for the job by a Honda dealer before he retired. He kindly gave me a few bits and pieces specific to my bikes. Its a good fit, but the long bar for the socket has a flexible knuckle at the square drive going into the socket. Keeping that on the nut requires 2 hands, hence I need someone to help out with the muscle ?

that outer basket looks like hammered chit.........defintely will cause disengagment issues..

That tool is not a good one.....but at least it doesn`t  holds the inner basket by the alloy posts inside...any real pressure will pop those posts off..a tool should catch the outer teeth on the inner hub where the clutch steels touch........

B

Edited by brianhare

Put the plates back in, fit the springs etc,, Put g'box in 5th with back brake on hard,, then  crank on the 'jesus nut'.

Thanks Muzz67

Do I need fit the clutch centre plate to retain the springs, if so, I dont think I can see the nut  that needs undoing? The bike isnt here so I'll check in a day or so. 

Right, it turned out to be a 2 man job.

I thought I had both the inner and outer of the clutch basket knocking about, but I just have a worn inner. Can I file the ridges outa these components to enable the drive to disengage when the lever is pulled (see images above)?

Anyone got a good condition set I can have? 

?

No I don't have a good condition set,,I do have a spare inner and outer but they are my spares and not for give away/sale.

If you file the grooves out and get some new fibre plates you should be good to go. The outer basket grooves seem to cause the issue of clutch malfunction to me..I filed those ones out on my 600 basket and my problems were gone..I didn't do the inner because I did the job with the parts in situ,,ie,,on the engine and the inner was to hard to do in that configuration. If I was to do it properly I would remove them from the engine and do both the inner and outer clutch parts..You need a file..that's all that's required for the job..Putting new fibre plates in should cover them also being flogged out so the issue should then be fixed.