Tusk Impact rear wheel with spacers for 07 YZ450f dragging a bit.

3 replies to this topic
  • flapwick

Posted February 28, 2015 - 11:11 PM

Anybody with the new Tusk Impact wheels on their older(mine's an 07)YZ's having the issue of the rear wheel feeling a little draggy? Everything is greased,installed,and torqued properly,but it does not spin completely freely.I was wondering if it might have something to do with the new spacers being longer internally(They fit my smaller axle and go deeper into the hub).The wheels have 5 hours on them,so I don't think it's any kind of a break in issue.I would appreciate actual experience with these wheels and this situation as opposed to wild guesses.Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• 009.JPG

• grayracer513

Posted March 01, 2015 - 08:38 AM

Does the wheel spin freely with the axle loosened?  If so, the problem is likely to be that the center spacer has been compressed.  When that happens, thightening the axle puts a lateral preload on the bearings that they are not supposed to have.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flapwick

Posted March 01, 2015 - 08:19 PM

Thanks Gray,I'll check tomorrow.

• flapwick

Posted March 01, 2015 - 08:55 PM

Gray,I went out and checked,and loosening the nut doesn't change anything.I just remembered that when I put the spacer in there,it was like there was air inside the hub,and it wanted to keep the spacer from seating.Like an air cushion or spring effect.Taking the other spacer out didn't help.I'm sure it was the sprocket side,which is where I put the longer of the two spacers.I can't remember if i tried switching them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.