HELP! top end rebuild question!

7 replies to this topic
  • motoxking989

Posted February 28, 2015 - 04:04 PM

ok here is the story. i got  a new piston kit to rebuild my top end and everything was going smoothly until the piston fell out of my hand when i was going to put it on the rod and left a very very small ding on the brim of the piston. nothing big. in thinking that it never touches anything it would be fine and i went ahead with the rebuild. i figured the rings rode the cylinder and that the piston never comes in contact with the top and it would be fine. well after getting it all back together it fired right up just fine and runs good except I'm hearing a clanking or small knocking noise now that is not normal or i never heard before. my 2 questions are could the dent be the cause of the noise ? and if not then what could be making this tapping noise. i went back and double checked the timing, the tensioner, the chain guides and everything and all was fine. pease help me out if you have an idea. thanks!  

its a 2009 yz450f 

Edited by motoxking989, February 28, 2015 - 04:07 PM.

• dlkraniak

Posted February 28, 2015 - 04:41 PM

Pistons are designed to take all kinds of abuse, drop checking on the garage floor is not one of them.

• High Society

Posted February 28, 2015 - 04:45 PM

I agree with dlk. I would've bought a new one. Did you check for any connecting rod play?

• motoxking989

Posted February 28, 2015 - 04:46 PM

I agree with dlk. I would've bought a new one. Did you check for any connecting rod play?

yes no play at all. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bowhunter007

Posted February 28, 2015 - 04:59 PM

Pull that thing out, before you ruin something...like the topend.

• grayracer513

Posted February 28, 2015 - 08:52 PM

If the bike has an aftermarket skid plate, remove it, then re-evaluate the sound.

If it's still abnormal, pull the cylinder and have a look at the piston to see if it has any odd contact patterns on it.  What kind of piston was it?

• motoxking989

Posted March 05, 2015 - 07:39 AM

If the bike has an aftermarket skid plate, remove it, then re-evaluate the sound.

If it's still abnormal, pull the cylinder and have a look at the piston to see if it has any odd contact patterns on it.  What kind of piston was it?

thanks man! and thanks y'all but we figured it out. i had the cylinder honed to knock the glaze off and the dummy at the machine shop took too much off and the piston had to much play and was slapping around. 

• sleepy514

Posted March 05, 2015 - 05:13 PM

that sucks now it needs a jug or larger piston :(

Edited by sleepy514, March 05, 2015 - 05:13 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.