New secondhand wr450f

6 replies to this topic
  • JorisBoris

Posted February 28, 2015 - 09:43 AM

What's up TT,

I bought myself another wr450f, it's the 2009 model. when I got it home, the forks were leaking badly, dripping. I searched online and found that you can clean it using a strop of camerafilm plastic, so i trief that but it didn't do much. Any advice ?

Second, fifth gear slipping... i don't mind because I don't use fifth but it pissed me off finding out.

Now I wanted to fasten the chain, one bolt was stuck! I can't understand how people let that happen... I did get it out though, after half an hour or in and out movement..

yesterday I sank the bike in some driftsand to the tank, the engine was halfway gone in the sand... it took me 3 hours of pulling to get it out,! So i decides to change her oil and filter today, which she liked.

No actual question here, but some advice in the forks is welcome.

Cheers

• stevethe

Posted February 28, 2015 - 10:11 AM

There are many posts on very bad base valves that exist in that year WR forks. You also likely have scratches in the chrome tubes that cause the seals to leak. You can re valve and do the seals yourself with a D.I.Y. Kit from Racetech or just send it out to be done.

Edited by stevethe, February 28, 2015 - 10:11 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 28, 2015 - 11:12 AM

The gear changing issue was probably caused by dropping the bike on the shifer, and bending the gear/paw or guide

You should be able to fix it without splitting the cases.

If it goes into gear, THEN slips, you have some gears with bad/broken cogs, and I would not run the motor till this is fixed.

...assuming it's not a broken clutch plate or something like that, which would be more intermitent , but in all the gears.

Did you closely inspect the oil filter for debris, or debris in the oil itself?

Is it magnetic/ferrous material?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JorisBoris

Posted February 28, 2015 - 11:16 AM

Thanks for the reply, it's the dogs of the gears that are worn... so no worries, they won't jam :D no debris

Also, i can't get it to start via e-start... it kicks on verry easy, but i can turn it for 10 secs and nothing... won't start... is there a procedure ?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 28, 2015 - 11:20 AM

Thanks for the reply, it's the dogs of the gears that are worn... so no worries, they won't jam :D no debris

Also, i can't get it to start via e-start... it kicks on verry easy, but i can turn it for 10 secs and nothing... won't start... is there a procedure ?

Well, the don't 'wear', as they are hardended metals, so they 'flake' or 'chip' apart, leaving all sizes of debris in the motor.

• flyandride

Posted February 28, 2015 - 03:28 PM

The camera film or hooked plastic trick only works if the fork seals are just dirty.  Not if they are worn out.  Fork seals are not that hard to do but you will need to get a special tool to get the forks apart.  Not expensive, sometimes you can make them.  

Change the oil often and it will be a reliable bike.  

• JorisBoris

Posted March 01, 2015 - 04:10 AM

Ok, no debris in the filter though... i will let a shop service the forks then

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.