2013 YZ450 Questions

6 replies to this topic
  • MikeJunior

Posted February 25, 2015 - 11:24 PM

Last year I bought a 2013 YZ450 as a "last years model", and I absolutely love this bike.  Although I wanted the new 2014 model,  to me, being 19 years old and an "average" rider, it was not worth the couple extra thousand dollars.  I am not good enough of a rider to ride even close to the capability of this bike yet, so I have nothing to complain about.  I've got about 50 hours on it without any issues.  After setting the sag and experimenting with fork and shock settings I am amazed to how well the bike handles.

So far I have put on a works connection glide plate and radiator braces, a lexx xc end cap (for spark arrestor to allow me to ride trails), primary drive x-ring chain, motion pro fork bleeders, and Emig lock on grips. 

So my question has to do with exhaust, shrouds, and tuning.  With the Lexx end cap, the bike is pretty loud...too loud,  So I was looking into a DRD slip on.  Also, I was considering getting Cycra powerflow shrouds.  I have a couple concerns with doing this:

1. Will putting both a slip on and the "better flowing" cycra shrouds require me to change the ignition mapping or will the bike be able to "self adjust" enough to the changes?

2. Are the cycra shrouds really that much narrower or slimmer? And it looks as if they have an air duct on the front leading edge of shroud, and I'm concerned with roost and water shooting into that intake, has anyone had an issue with this?

• mikedabike

Posted February 26, 2015 - 05:25 AM

The shouds make no difference. Marketing hype. They may ne a touch slimmer but I really didnt notice since I had no issue with the stockers. I dont think a DRD is going to be much quieter if any than stock. Look at the FMF Q. Neither of these require mapping but you might get some benefit from it by being able to tune the power to your style better.

• 1stSSPZ

Posted February 26, 2015 - 09:56 AM

Have the Lexx exhaust on my 13'. It is indeed loud (mine is a track only bike) but the price was hard to beat and it did seem to beef up the mid-range a bit. Agree with Mike on the shrouds, unless you were running around 200mph don't see how they could possibly suck in enough extra air to be noticeable. A big handling (and riding) improvement I made to mine was adding the GYTR 4.4 oz flywheel weight. MUCH easier to ride right off idle and helps keep the front end from pushing as much. I am at the stage in my riding career where I have more money than talent, so I have made quite a few changes to my 13 (not all of which I thought were of any benefit)  PM me on any mods you are thinking of, I have probably all ready tried them ! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MikeJunior

Posted February 26, 2015 - 01:09 PM

The shouds make no difference. Marketing hype. They may ne a touch slimmer but I really didnt notice since I had no issue with the stockers. I dont think a DRD is going to be much quieter if any than stock. Look at the FMF Q. Neither of these require mapping but you might get some benefit from it by being able to tune the power to your style better.

The stock exhaust wasn't too loud, it was only after I added the lexx end cap for the spark arrestor that it became very loud.  It definitely sounds better now,  but I think a slip on would give a better performance gain on the top end, would  be a bit more quite, and would look better since the stock pipe is very long.  I am considering picking up a tuner also.

Have the Lexx exhaust on my 13'. It is indeed loud (mine is a track only bike) but the price was hard to beat and it did seem to beef up the mid-range a bit. Agree with Mike on the shrouds, unless you were running around 200mph don't see how they could possibly suck in enough extra air to be noticeable. A big handling (and riding) improvement I made to mine was adding the GYTR 4.4 oz flywheel weight. MUCH easier to ride right off idle and helps keep the front end from pushing as much. I am at the stage in my riding career where I have more money than talent, so I have made quite a few changes to my 13 (not all of which I thought were of any benefit)  PM me on any mods you are thinking of, I have probably all ready tried them ! :)

I'll probably just stick with the stock shrouds as they don't really bother me anyways.  I have looked into a flywheel because on trails it can be very jumpy on the low end, although I have adapted to it.  My buddy has an 09 YZ450, and it sits a little lower which seems to make it a little more comfortable.  Would a lowering link be a good route to go, and will it improve/hinder handling at all?

• 1stSSPZ

Posted February 26, 2015 - 01:29 PM

Tried the Ride Engineering lowering link on mine after reading what MXA has had to say over the last couple of years concerning the "turning issues" of the 2010-2013 models. After less than two hrs ride time, took it off and sold it. It DID lower the rear of the bike. It also made the rear end track better thru braking bumps. However, it made the steering much more imprecise. I could probably have spent several more hours trying different fork heights, etc but said the hell with it. Several other mods since which have transformed the bike into something that suits my (rigor mortus) riding style... :)

Edited by 1stSSPZ, February 26, 2015 - 01:30 PM.

• YzCas

Posted March 03, 2015 - 01:42 PM

The stock exhaust wasn't too loud, it was only after I added the lexx end cap for the spark arrestor that it became very loud. It definitely sounds better now, but I think a slip on would give a better performance gain on the top end, would be a bit more quite, and would look better since the stock pipe is very long. I am considering picking up a tuner also.

I'll probably just stick with the stock shrouds as they don't really bother me anyways. I have looked into a flywheel because on trails it can be very jumpy on the low end, although I have adapted to it. My buddy has an 09 YZ450, and it sits a little lower which seems to make it a little more comfortable. Would a lowering link be a good route to go, and will it improve/hinder handling at all?

I didn't have the height problem on my 13 but I do have that problem on my 14 it's a tall bike I'm only 5.9. To help me control it more on stops and starts and slow riding I put in a core 3.0 rekluse and it helped a lot.

• yzdaddy

Posted March 04, 2015 - 05:08 AM

Body position is very important on the 13 14 15 to make them knife up corners. Good tires help with the turning also. The stock tire on the front sucks more than the back tire. It makes no difference 13 14 15 are the best handlin high speed bikes out their 

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.