Hot start

2 replies to this topic
  • WilfulLemar20

Posted February 25, 2015 - 02:25 PM

My hot start would not budge I got it apart and found this any recommendations on what to do

Attached Thumbnails

• 1424903122691.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2015 - 03:11 PM

*Sometimes* you can soak the whole bore area in PB Blaster or an equivalent penetrating oil overnight, warm the carb up to about 180-200 ℉ using an oven or a hair dryer, and get it plunger to break loose.  At that point, you just keep working it around and you may be able to work it out.  Note that under the top cover (over the throttle slide), there is, on the engine side of the carb, a drilled passage angling down to the plunger that you can run penetrating oil down into also. 

The next step up is to break off the remaining tab from the plunger for clearance, then drill a small hole down the center of the plunger.  Tap the hole for a #8, #10, or 3 or 4 mm screw (whatever looks to be the best fit).  Run a nut down on a long screw, drop a washer on it, and screw this into the tapped hole.  Then use the nut to pull the plunger up and out of place.  Again, heat and penetrating oil helps.

Once out, clean the bore out using a ~30 caliber brass rifle barrel brush until the new plunger moves completely freely in the bore, smear some waterproof grease the new plunger and seal, and reassemble it.

TO AVOID this in the first place.  Always run the bike after a wash job and work the hot start a couple of times with the engine running so the air running through that passage will blow out the water that may have intruded.

• WilfulLemar20

Posted February 25, 2015 - 03:52 PM

Thank you for all the help sounds like I got my work cut out for me

Related Content

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.