Repainting Clutch Cover: Suggestions

9 replies to this topic
  • Rusty99

Posted February 24, 2015 - 09:58 PM

Hi guys,

I would love to cleanup/repaint/polish my clutch cover. Mine is really nasty looking, most of paint has been rubbed off by the previous owners boot rubbing it.

Is there a good technique to repainting clutch covers?

Cheers

• patrick2wd

Posted February 25, 2015 - 02:09 AM

powdercoat it!

• bobpara

Posted February 25, 2015 - 08:50 AM

I second that....powdercoat

• BlueBeast400

Posted February 25, 2015 - 11:07 AM

I'm in the process of buying an extra oem cover off ebay and having it powder coated. Its the only way to go like stated above.

• toten

Posted February 25, 2015 - 11:29 AM

Have you considered an aftermarket one? There are some pretty nice ones available. If you were just rattlecanning it I wouldn't bring it up, but if you're spending the money for powder...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyandride

Posted February 25, 2015 - 11:40 AM

Sand blast it and paint it with VHT enamel and DON'T use the primer.  I do mine this way and they hold up far better than what Yamaha uses.  

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 25, 2015 - 12:53 PM

Vapor hone the coating and leave it

• Rusty99

Posted February 26, 2015 - 06:28 AM

powdercoat it!

About how much does it cost to have them powdercoated? Does the powder coat stand up? What color are you guys getting them done? 

Edited by Rusty99, February 26, 2015 - 06:28 AM.

• Rusty99

Posted February 26, 2015 - 06:31 AM

Have you considered an aftermarket one? There are some pretty nice ones available. If you were just rattlecanning it I wouldn't bring it up, but if you're spending the money for powder...

I've looked at a couple aftermarket ones on line, I like the look of the blue ones. My concern is that the after market clutch covers might have the same problem with the finish rubbing off? Would be great to hear how they hold up.  I have no idea how much powder coating costs either.

• patrick2wd

Posted February 26, 2015 - 08:59 AM

I had a XT600Z.. hmmmm lets see if I can post a picture...

IMAGE_079.jpg

had the rims/ engine cases hubs all powder coated..

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.