Airbox Dzus fasteners falling out

11 replies to this topic
  • Crashed Da

Posted February 24, 2015 - 05:23 PM

Has anyone found a place to buy replacement 1/4 Dzus fasteners for the airbox. I have lost 2 in 10 hrs of ride time and know of others in the same vote. I know you can buy replacements at the shop at the price of the kit in the first place. Looking to find like a bag of 25 -50, you know what ever it takes.

• MJP68

Posted February 24, 2015 - 07:15 PM

No cheap solution that I know of. You get 4 when you purchase the kit for the 14's for about 23$ if I remember right

Some suggest cutting the  D ring off

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2015 - 08:04 PM

I'd suggest taking a look at whether they're being fastened correctly, or whether they can be fastened correctly.  All kinds of things on combat aircraft is held down or closed by Dzus fasteners.  If they're fit right and used correctly, they should never just fall off on their own.

• Crashed Da

Posted February 25, 2015 - 07:49 AM

I'd suggest taking a look at whether they're being fastened correctly, or whether they can be fastened correctly.  All kinds of things on combat aircraft is held down or closed by Dzus fasteners.  If they're fit right and used correctly, they should never just fall off on their own.

I understand what you are saying, but the is Dzus is fool proof.

• grayracer513

Posted February 25, 2015 - 08:13 AM

No, it isn't.  The integrity of a fastened Dzus lock depends on the two parts that are locked together seating solidly against each other, and on the fastener "button" itself being oriented squarely with the spring wire it locks to.  If the button engages the wire at an angle such that it has pressure mostly or solely on one of its hooks, it will be less stable that it should.  If it's also slightly misaligned side to side, the less loaded hook can actually be over center to the unlocked side, and be exerting pressure on it trying to unlock it.

It the two parts held together by the fastener are not entirely pulled together, then outside pressure on one of them can relax the tension on the button and allow it to rotate off the spring.  If they don't fit right, they may very well not work right, either.

• Phil Hannah

Posted February 25, 2015 - 08:17 AM

I lost one first time riding bike. Remove d-ring on the side fastners and problem solved. As a note the GYTR kit fastners dont have the little locking washer on the back side so when you loosen them they dont stay put like the stock ones.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Goforaride

Posted February 25, 2015 - 08:49 AM

I lost one first time riding bike. Remove d-ring on the side fastners and problem solved. As a note the GYTR kit fastners dont have the little locking washer on the back side so when you loosen them they dont stay put like the stock ones.

I don't understand why anyone would need such fast access to their air filter that they are even needed. When it comes time to replace the filter which for me is every race or 3-4 hours of riding, I pull the seat and fuel tank. This allows removal of the lower section of the air box via two pop rivets and a Philips screw. I do this because that piece touches the filter causing oil and debri to stick and makes putting on a New filter a pita. Still takes less than five minutes to change the filter this way. My point is that the quick release fasteners are pointless and in my opinion should go bye bye.

• C64DK

Posted February 25, 2015 - 05:32 PM

Is there a way to use bolts from the 2014? I don't really need to access the filter any quicker than that.

• Phil Hannah

Posted February 25, 2015 - 05:50 PM

Is there a way to use bolts from the 2014? I don't really need to access the filter any quicker than that.

U have to buy the nut plates and bolts. Crazy what this stuff cost. If you remove the d-ring from the two by your knees u should be ok.

• yzUSMCf

Posted February 26, 2015 - 10:54 AM

I've never lost one.

• zeuszuki

Posted February 26, 2015 - 03:47 PM

Owned my '14 since October 2013 and fitted Dzus fasteners upon purchase. Have never lost one in all that time.

• rr558

Posted February 26, 2015 - 05:04 PM

If you have to take the D ring off not much sense in having Dzus fasteners. Just switch to bolts like the 14 problem solved

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.