does a wr400 take a fuse?

5 replies to this topic
  • 90atk

Posted February 24, 2015 - 04:28 PM

im converting my yz400 to run lights and be street legal. i allready installed a wr400 stator and flywheel and im getting ready to wire my lights up. do i need a fuse? i was just gona run the fuse right off the yellow power wire. if so what size fuse? thanks.

• flyandride

Posted February 24, 2015 - 06:52 PM

Here's a WR400F wiring diagram.  It doesn't show a fuse.  I had an early WR250F and it had no fuse.  I would put one in there just in case something shorts, in which case the stator would probably get hot after a while.  5 amp should do it.  98WR400F wiring.jpg

• 90atk

Posted February 25, 2015 - 03:00 PM

ok thanks. im gona put one in just incase. it cant hurt to have one right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toten

Posted February 25, 2015 - 03:24 PM

If you're running WR headlight/taillight a 5A fuse is a little small - or at least the WR450 headlight is 55/60W, so it should draw around 5A on high. Add in the tail light (another 2A or so with brake light on) and you're better off with a 10A fuse. 

• 90atk

Posted February 25, 2015 - 04:27 PM

ok thanks. im running a polisport mmx head light and a wr rear fender with the tail light.

• toten

Posted February 25, 2015 - 08:29 PM

The Polisport MMX is 35W or a hair under 3A. If you're running the older style WR taillight (on top of the fender, not at the end), the 2A figure I gave is reasonable, so you might get away with 5A but you might not. If you're running one of the newer LEDs 5A would be plenty.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.