Non ethanol fuel in 90 octane for YZ450

3 replies to this topic
  • gofaster450

Posted February 23, 2015 - 07:37 AM

For various reasons, I would like to begin using non-ethanol fuel (pure gas) in my 2012 YZ450. In my area of Georgia the highest octane pure gas has a rating of 90.

The manual calls for a minimum of 91 octane. Does anyone have real world experience (as in you have use 90 octane "pure gas") with using 90 octane non-ethanol fuel from the pump in a late model, fuel injected YZ 450?

I understand the relationship of octane requirement to compression ratio and timing curves but the comparison of ethanol 91 octane and non-ethanol 90 octane is not exactly an apples to apples comparison. It would appear that the difference between 90 and 91 octane is small.

Those of you that have used 90 octane "pure gas", did you experience any pinging or detonation that you didn't experience with 91 octane ethanol fuel?

• mx369

Posted February 23, 2015 - 12:30 PM

Go to and look up you state. gives all places in state, brand and octane!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gofaster450

Posted February 23, 2015 - 05:27 PM

Thank you for the heads up. I have been aware of this site for a couple of years. Its good to see that there are actually new gas stations being added constantly. Still looking for input on if 90 octane non-ethanol fuel will work for the late model 450's.

• YamaLink

Posted February 24, 2015 - 07:16 AM

I try to run only non-ethanol and when it is 90 there are no issues.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.