Cheng Shing Tires

10 replies to this topic
  • humbertob

Posted February 08, 2002 - 05:35 PM

Any one here recommend Cheng shing tires....? I have looked so much bikes with Cheng Shing tires out from the dealership, are they really good....?

• F-Pilot

Posted February 08, 2002 - 06:51 PM

No, go here and buy good tires.
http://www.rockymoun...?SID=0000790825

• sirthumpalot

Posted February 09, 2002 - 04:41 AM

When I was little we used them on our minis but we rode all offroad. For that they seemed to work fine, but I haven't tried one in over 10 years so I don't know how they compare to the name brand. Probably similar to any name brand vs. generic brand scenario.

• Kirtwell

Posted February 09, 2002 - 05:18 AM

Hey humbertob,
I used them alot with my YZ250. They are cheap and for a reason. In fact I could send you a pic of one after 4 ride...totally gone.
Do not...I repeat..Do not use on of those on a thumper. You'll go for one ride and there will be knobbies missing...they just tear of.
If you have a low powered 2 stroke and just want to play in the sand....get one...otherwise stick with the better tires.

• mat

Posted February 09, 2002 - 06:23 PM

im going to go the other way here, ive been racing desert with chen shing 755 for a couple months now and like them better than the dunlops i was using, they seem to last longer than the dunlop 752 i believe and pirelli in the hard rocky stuff, plus their alot cheaper

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 09, 2002 - 06:35 PM

I have used cheng shin when I was a kid.
When I got my yz250 after a 13yr break from dirt, I started using MAXXIS because I did not want to go w/cheng shin.
I loved the MAXXIS but the tire changing dudes HATED them because of the super thick side wall. (good for DEZ!!)
plus they were around 40bucks!!!!
Now if you have the $$$$ go for the MICH m-21f/s-12r combo!!!!! :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted February 11, 2002 - 09:35 AM

Maxxis is made by Cheng Shin. Bet ya didnt see that comin. Ive always run Cheng Shins on my Cr500. But thats because that thing eats tires like they are free. IM lookin at new tires my self, I noticed in a mag, that Dunlop makes a 739 "fourstroke". This makes me very curious. Whats different I ask? Depending on where and how you ride, tires dont last on big thumpers plain and simple. I rode saturday outside Victorville. Ran through two tanks of gas. Used up a good 1/4 inch of rear tire on the K695 that on the bike now.

• F-Pilot

Posted February 11, 2002 - 03:31 PM

How much are the Cheng Shins compared to the better brands?
I paid $111 for a front and rear Bridgestone from Rocky Mtn Cycle. That was including shipping to my front door.

mat, I would hope that a hard terrain Cheng Shin would outlast a soft terrain Dunlop in the desert. :)

[ February 11, 2002: Message edited by: F-Pilot ]

• RichB

Posted February 11, 2002 - 05:39 PM

. IM lookin at new tires my self, I noticed in a mag, that Dunlop makes a 739 "fourstroke". This makes me very curious. Whats different I ask? Depending on where and how you ride, tires dont last on big thumpers plain and simple. I rode saturday outside Victorville. Ran through two tanks of gas. Used up a good 1/4 inch of rear tire on the K695 that on the bike now.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Shawn, I believe the 739G is supposed to have a tougher carcass to withstand the weight of the thumper. I do know enough not to waste my $ on those again. 695s hook up ok but they wear like BUTTER (out in the Dez and on tracks). Go with a 756 combo, if you want the best of all worlds (traction, wear etc.)

My 02.

p.s. I used to use Chin-**** back in the day when I was riding duel sports for miles on the highway to get from fire road to fire road. Other than that, I see no use.

• Norman

Posted February 11, 2002 - 06:58 PM

I have used them before on my old XR, even it would rip the knobs off. They are hard as hell to change too. Im pretty sure somewhere in the Japanese dictionary the words ChengShen stands for Cheap %#$&.

Norman

• Dana_Davis

Posted February 11, 2002 - 07:11 PM

Pure desert here with the big bore thumper and i will stand behind them 110%. Awesome tire and even more stunning when mounted to a 3 inch desert sun rim. They may wear our faster then most other brands but then again, they are cheaper then most other brands.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.