2007 YZ 450 VS 2013 YZ450

7 replies to this topic
  • foxtrot722

Posted February 22, 2015 - 06:28 PM

Hey everyone,

My 2007 YZ 450 has been a awesome bike, starts easy, hot or cold, has never given any problems, just routine maintenance. Considering I about to turn 60, casual trail is about all I do now. I do have a lot of MX experience for the 70's/early80's.

So I ran across a 2013 YZ 450 that appears to have very low hours, my question is, are there any known problems or anything odd inherited to that year model I should be aware of?

The owner did say something about a after market slip on and Wesco( spelling?) Tuner would be included.

Thanks in advance for the information.

• mikedabike

Posted February 22, 2015 - 10:16 PM

The 07 was a more of a do it all bike. The 13 is more mx focused and more aggressive power. That being said the 13 can be tamed for trail bit probably better options.

• YzCas

Posted February 23, 2015 - 10:48 AM

Hey guys!!! I have owned an 03 13 and now a 14 the 13 is a great bike I like it so much I'm considering buying my old one back of the guy I sold it to it's a great bike it's not as good as my 14 but a damn fun bike to ride.

Edited by YzCas, February 23, 2015 - 10:49 AM.

• Wiz636

Posted February 24, 2015 - 11:50 AM

I went from an '08 to a '13 and love it.  The '13 is quite a bit more responsive, especially on the bottom end, and for trail riding many people like to de-tune it to make it less sensitive to small throttle modulations.

In terms of handling the '13 will ride circles around the '06 - '09 generation YZ's.  My '13 feels like a 250f compared to the older generation.

In my experience I found that for trail riding the stock suspension on the '13 needed more work than the older generation YZ's but now that TBT Racing has tuned the suspension on my '13 it is by far the best I have ever ridden.  I just got back from eight days in Baja where we covered 1,600+ miles and I didn't even run a stabilizer. It was a joy to ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • foxtrot722

Posted February 24, 2015 - 07:11 PM

Thanks for the information, Sounds like something worth considering.

I heard somewhere  there is a recommended top end rebuild at about 60 hours, if true, guessing that would apply to one that was used for racing, anyone have any thoughts on that?

• grayracer513

Posted February 24, 2015 - 08:19 PM

60 hours is a lot of different things.  It's 20 two-hour desert races. And it's an easy 150 20-minute MX races.  Or it's 15-20 weekend ride days. 

Depends a lot on how it's used.  Mine's used for desert racing and general horsing around, and the original top didn't get redone until round about 300 hours. 

• yzdaddy

Posted February 26, 2015 - 09:17 AM

60 hours is a lot of different things.  It's 20 two-hour desert races. And it's an easy 150 20-minute MX races.  Or it's 15-20 weekend ride days. 

Depends a lot on how it's used.  Mine's used for desert racing and general horsing around, and the original top didn't get redone until round about 300 hours. 

Thats pretty good for the desert what oil  do you use?

• grayracer513

Posted February 26, 2015 - 09:22 AM

Mobil1 Racing 4T or Amsoil MCF interchangeably.  Mobil1 V-Twin or Amsoil MCV from late June through September in Southern SoCal.  Changed every third ride day at most, filter serviced with every oil change.  Clean air filter every ride.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.