Front sprocket rachety in Neutral?

6 replies to this topic
  • bigl

Posted February 21, 2015 - 06:17 AM

I just fitted a new front drive sprocket.  When I put the engine in neutral and try to spin the sprocket it feels rachety.  Clicky.  Notchy.  I haven't fitted the chain yet. 

Is there anything being driven in neutral that will cause this?

On any other bike I have ever owned, neutral allows the drive sprocket to spin freely, with just a bit of drag from the bearings.

I am crapping myself that this means big big problems.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 21, 2015 - 06:35 AM

On a cold motor you should feel something, but any ability to feel any resistance as  'detents' or notches would point to a trashed bearing on that shaft.

...but you are spining some gears even in neutral, so you should feel something, just not resistance.

Make sure you are in neutral.....

Edited by Kah Ran Nee, February 21, 2015 - 06:36 AM.

• bigl

Posted February 21, 2015 - 08:15 PM

On a cold motor you should feel something, but any ability to feel any resistance as  'detents' or notches would point to a trashed bearing on that shaft.

...but you are spining some gears even in neutral, so you should feel something, just not resistance.

Make sure you are in neutral.....

Oh well, what the hell.  I am going to get the motor rebuilt.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bigl

Posted February 24, 2015 - 06:26 AM

Guess who won the Dick head of the year award....?   I fitted a new chain guide the weekend.  The sprocket rubs against it each revolution.  Phew!

• toten

Posted February 24, 2015 - 07:13 AM

Glad to hear it's nothing serious. 

• bigl

Posted February 24, 2015 - 08:53 AM

Glad to hear it's nothing serious. 

Thanks!  I am still weary of this bike, so I expected the worst.  I am cured now I think :)

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 24, 2015 - 12:22 PM

Guess who won the Dick head of the year award....?   I fitted a new chain guide the weekend.  The sprocket rubs against it each revolution.  Phew!

Yes, you would certainly be the winner!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.