2014 gearing

13 replies to this topic
  • ltrosson

Posted February 20, 2015 - 04:27 PM

Do those of you with the 2014 like the 49 tooth or did you change it to a 50 tooth. If you changed to the 50 what results did you get.

• Goforaride

Posted February 20, 2015 - 07:10 PM

Do those of you with the 2014 like the 49 tooth or did you change it to a 50 tooth. If you changed to the 50 what results did you get.

I have not changed sprocs yet. Waiting for the stock chain to wear out. Anyways I like the 49 for dunes and on a mx track but not at all in the woods or other tight technical riding. For me first is to low and second is to high with the 49 if in the woods. I think a 50 will make second more uusable.

• Monk

Posted February 20, 2015 - 07:29 PM

I bounced between 48/49/50. 13/49 is my combo... Makes 3rd usable, 1st low enough and 5th tall enough. But I also run a Rekluse...

• ltrosson

Posted February 20, 2015 - 08:05 PM

Thank you for the input, mine is soley motocross. Had a 50 on my 08 and liked it, just have not ridden the 14 to know.

• jb497

Posted February 21, 2015 - 12:46 AM

I changed my back sprocket to a 50t. I love it, it allows me ride 4th gear in most corners and ruts. Ive always ridden bikes in the lower RPM ranger ather than revving bike at higher RPM.  3rd gear only gets used in really tight ruts. My bike has never seen 1st or 2nd gear (only on race starts).  I do tend to use the clutch a bit but my bike has 80hrs and clutch is still in spec. 

Edited by jb497, February 21, 2015 - 12:48 AM.

• Tiago

Posted February 21, 2015 - 04:24 AM

I bounced between 48/49/50. 13/49 is my combo... Makes 3rd usable, 1st low enough and 5th tall enough. But I also run a Rekluse...

I have 14-50 and i'm loving it. 3rd gear do almost everything, from slow corner to fast straights. I will receive my rekluse next week. Can you give me some advice for the install? I'm planning tuning it for low rpm and hard engage.

• Monk

Posted February 21, 2015 - 06:54 AM

I have 14-50 and i'm loving it. 3rd gear do almost everything, from slow corner to fast straights. I will receive my rekluse next week. Can you give me some advice for the install? I'm planning tuning it for low rpm and hard engage.

Install is like every other Rekluse. Not much too it. I had to reset my install gap because i was getting slip at high RPM. as for low RPM, hard engagement, they come with the heaviest wedges now and I'm using the stock spring that came in the EXP ring. My bike jumps right of idle... Makes for easy log hopping...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 21, 2015 - 07:07 AM

I will receive my rekluse next week. Can you give me some advice for the install? I'm planning tuning it for low rpm and hard engage.

Depends on how the bike acts with the clutch installed.  Generally, you want the lowest engagement RPM and the most abrupt engagement rate the bike can tolerate.  What you run into with very low engagement points is a too often failure to disconnect soon enough to prevent brake stalling.  This still occasionally happens when the clutch is setup right, but it should be pretty rare.  Too low an EP will also cause excessive idle creep in gear.  The problem with too quick an engagement rate is that the clutch will kill the engine on second gear starts or in situations where you have gotten caught a gear too high and have to accelerate uphill, or in deep sand, etc.

Because of the need to adjust for the prevention of these two things, I ended up at a mid/"soft"(slow) setting.  I would start with what Rekluse recommends and tune from there.

And something for every new auto clutch user to bear in mind: the fact that you can crank the engine without shifting does NOT mean it's in neutral. :shocked:  ...if you get what I mean.

• Tiago

Posted February 21, 2015 - 12:52 PM

The problem with too quick an engagement rate is that the clutch will kill the engine on second gear starts or in situations where you have gotten caught a gear too high and have to accelerate uphill, or in deep sand, etc.

Because of the need to adjust for the prevention of these two things, I ended up at a mid/"soft"(slow) setting. I would start with what Rekluse recommends and tune from there.

I had a Z-Start Pro on my previous 450SX-F and to avoid the symptoms that you pointed, it had the idle a bit higher than usual. It was a bit awkard to hear the bike at idle but is was perfect while riding it. The fact of the bike having a electric start was easy to hide it because when with friends, i only put the engine running for riding it right away.

The main feature that made me buy another auto clutch is the anti-stall feature during rear wheel lock at hard beaking or at very slippery conditions like mud. Other than that i don't feel the need of it because i use the clutch lever alot, like slipping the clutch at mid/high rpm and smoothing the power on corners and ruts, or clutch slipping exiting corners on sand tracks for faster rpm climb.

My YZ has a magura hydraulic clutch kit. Is there any other way to test the free play without the need of the black rubber? I'm afraid that the softer pulling of the clutch lever with the magura kit would mess with the black rubber strenght.

Edited by Tiago, February 21, 2015 - 01:12 PM.

• YzCas

Posted February 23, 2015 - 11:33 AM

Has anyone tried 13-52 yet? I also have a rmz 450 with a rekluse core. I have a 14 yz450f with the rekluse I'm going up to a 52 in my rear because were I ride it's more hilly and open grassy sections back to single track I feel 52 will help me run 3rd gear most of the time without having to lug the motor in the rough slow shit just my opinion when I went to 51 didn't see much a difference.

• FRANTIK1

Posted February 23, 2015 - 05:17 PM

Has anyone tried 13-52 yet? I also have a rmz 450 with a rekluse core. I have a 14 yz450f with the rekluse I'm going up to a 52 in my rear because were I ride it's more hilly and open grassy sections back to single track I feel 52 will help me run 3rd gear most of the time without having to lug the motor in the rough slow shit just my opinion when I went to 51 didn't see much a difference.

I run 13/52 on my  14 450, and like it so far with the little time I had on the bike in the fall of last year. My riding areas sound the same as yours. When I got the bike it had 13/50 on it, and the 13/52 seemed much better. Enough top speed for me, and better in the tighter stuff. My 09 450 with 12/50 topped out at 73mph , still plenty fast enough for me, but I didn't like the engine spinning the higher rpm's  even at medium speeds. It was nice in the tight stuff though.

• Gaz929

Posted February 25, 2015 - 02:19 AM

What are the standard size sprockets on the 14 yz450? I'm thinking of getting a blue rear sprocket when the time comes to renew it.

• Monk

Posted February 25, 2015 - 05:43 AM

What are the standard size sprockets on the 14 yz450? I'm thinking of getting a blue rear sprocket when the time comes to renew it.

13/49

• Gaz929

Posted February 25, 2015 - 06:06 AM

13/49

Cheers dude

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.