Cooling fan options

34 replies to this topic
  • toten

Posted February 20, 2015 - 12:37 PM

My 2003 WR450 is street legal and usually set up as a supermoto. Even lanesplitting, with a lot of traffic it can get pretty hot. 

What's a good option for a cooling fan? I've seen people do it with computer fans but want something more waterproof. I'm about to add a Trailtech Vapor gauge, don't know if there's any way to make something piggyback off that temp sensor. 

• stevethe

Posted February 20, 2015 - 05:25 PM

Google cooling fans and wr450. There are a few threads about it.
I just added more antifreeze and done.

• ThumpMe

Posted February 20, 2015 - 06:46 PM

My '03 gets hot on slow technical trails and will even boil if not careful to be sure and keep quite a bit of air moving through the radiators.

I added a muffin (computer) fan that I found on e-bay that has been treated so it is waterproof. I even think the company that does the water proofing is still selling them there.

It is 120mm square and 38mm thick, just thin enough that it fits nicely between the tank and radiator on the right hand side. Built a couple aluminum brackets to mount it and it is a nice job rated install.

I believe the company selling them is listed as mynewfan on e-bay. They have a video showing them hosing down one of
the fans after the waterproofing and it is pretty impressive. Mine has so far stood up to LOTS of rain rides and washings as well.

They really move some air...so much that a buddy told me if I was in doubt about making it up a hill I could just kick on the fan and it would help pull me to the top!

I just hooked it in to a push button on/off switch I can operate with my left thumb.

I think I posted a picture on here in another thread in answer to another guys question about them back in the Summer.

• toten

Posted February 20, 2015 - 07:34 PM

I suppose I have two options for wiring: one would be to use a temperature-triggered switch of some sort like OEM, the other would be to wire up a switch and relay. I'd probably use the horn button to trigger the relay. 

• rah7777777

Posted February 22, 2015 - 07:54 AM

http://pages.ebay.co...id=351310571815

I bought the above thermostatic switch to wire into a relay to power this fan....

http://m.ebay.com/it...Id=570866320025

The thermo switch will probably get swapped out as I'll have to test it on the bike for on and off temps with wind and what not. And depends on how I can mount it on the radiator.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 22, 2015 - 08:56 AM

Go from a 1.1 to a 1.6 radiator cap

Use high temp water-less radiator fluid

Get rid of the stock exhaust (makes the motor run very hot) for a FMF Q4 or similar, and open air box top

Re-jet to match exhaust and intake

Now you don't need a fan. 

• toten

Posted February 22, 2015 - 09:47 AM

If I was only trail riding it I'd agree with you. Sometimes there are quite a few long red lights in a row, though. 

The intake has already been opened up. The header has been swapped for a Powerbomb. I suspect something has been changed in the stock can, it's fairly loud. The main jet is a 165, I forgot to look at the size of the pilot and haven't pulled the needle. 

I don't know how hot it gets, I have a Trailtech Vapor showing up Wednesday so next weekend I should get it all hooked and see how it's doing. 

• rah7777777

Posted February 23, 2015 - 04:13 AM

I have 50/50 coolant (factory cap) , full exhaust and JD Jetting kit and a trail tech with temp. On tight uphill single track I was hitting 290 degrees (give or take depending on trail)

Since then, I've gone all out though...

Boyesen supercooler pump, 1.6 radiator cap, Spal fan and new hoses all to be installed soon.
If that doesn't take of my issues, I'm screwed.

• rah7777777

Posted February 23, 2015 - 04:18 AM

Spal fan $40 on sale right now on ebay. Thermo switch $5, I have plenty of relays so free there, boyesen pump $110 (ebay score!), 1.6 radiator cap $16

I planned on doing just the pump, cap and different coolant but when I got the pump for a good bit cheaper than planned I decided to use that extra money to buy the fan setup and be done.

• stevethe

Posted February 23, 2015 - 07:12 AM

I have 50/50 coolant (factory cap) , full exhaust and JD Jetting kit and a trail tech with temp. On tight uphill single track I was hitting 290 degrees (give or take depending on trail)
Boyesen supercooler pump, 1.6 radiator cap, Spal fan and new hoses all to be installed soon.

WOW I guess I've been screwed since 07. WOW WE.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • toten

Posted February 23, 2015 - 07:12 AM

Wow, that's seriously hot. Hopefully you didn't damage anything. 

• rah7777777

Posted February 23, 2015 - 09:55 AM

She was boiling pretty good but ran like a champ afterwards so should be good. Rode since too with no issues.

But shouldn't happen again...

• ThumpMe

Posted February 24, 2015 - 07:57 AM

rah7777777,

Can you tell me how thick that fan is?

I have another bike I want to add a fan to and like that one better because it is water tight straight  from the factory. 

I sent the guy who has it listed an inquiry but have not heard back from him.

Also where did you mount that bi-metallic switch?.....It is nice to have them turn on automatically when they gets hot.

THANKS!

• rah7777777

Posted February 24, 2015 - 08:21 AM

I don't have anything mounted yet. Waiting on hoses to get in before I tear into it.

I'll measure the fan when I get home.

• rah7777777

Posted February 24, 2015 - 09:36 AM

According to box

4.29" x 4.29" x 2.36"

• toten

Posted February 24, 2015 - 11:03 AM

That's way thicker than I'd expect for a fan...

• rah7777777

Posted February 24, 2015 - 11:37 AM

It's i small version of an electric radiator fan you'd find on a car. Moves some good air.

http://pages.ebay.co...id=380868740563

• toten

Posted February 24, 2015 - 01:04 PM

Yeah, Jegs also has 2 3/8" thickness. I guess I'm used to computer fans which are much thinner.

• ThumpMe

Posted February 25, 2015 - 07:16 AM

That is only about 5/8ths of an inch thicker than the muffin fan I used on my '03.

I do not have that much room on the right side but it looks like it could be done on the left side if that one radiator hose could be rotated back towards the motor a little bit.

That is a good price though!

• ThumpMe

Posted February 25, 2015 - 07:22 AM

You can see mine is pretty tight.....

Attached Thumbnails

• '03 WR450 clutch 007.JPG
  • '03 WR450 clutch 008.JPG

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.