IMS zip ty 3.1 g tank

28 replies to this topic
  • FTD

Posted February 24, 2004 - 11:34 AM

I have ridden with the IMS tank on my 2001 for a couple of years and I love it. #1 it allowed me to put on a YZ seat and #2 it gave me a heck of a lot more gas.

I thought the stock 2001 WR tank and the Zipty or IMS were within .1 gallons of each other. :)

• Frostbite

Posted February 24, 2004 - 12:07 PM

My 4 gallon IMS holds less than a gallon more than the stocker. My stocker holds just a splash under 3 gallons. I didn't have a graduated cylinder to accurately measure the volume but it's close enough. If you're buying a 3.1 or 3.3 for the extra volume only I think you're wasting your money.

• FTD

Posted February 24, 2004 - 12:38 PM

I just bought the Zipty to put the gas weight lower. Wasn't aware of the 4 gallon tank, not that I want or need it.

• Frostbite

Posted February 24, 2004 - 01:47 PM

Sorry, didn't mean to sound preachy.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FTD

Posted February 24, 2004 - 02:01 PM

Father Frostbite, you are forgiven!! :)

• Frostbite

Posted February 24, 2004 - 02:09 PM

I am humbled, Master Hoss. :D I never considered the lower center of gravity factor. :) I needed the xtra gas. And, of course, the xtra floatation is important too.

Posted Image

• FTD

Posted February 24, 2004 - 02:39 PM

Actually my desire for the Zipty started with wanting to get further forward on the seat... then a friend brought to my attention getting the weight lower into the bike. :)
The most noticable change was how I could squeeze the tank better between my knees because it was skinier.

• Tom_Rowlee

Posted February 26, 2004 - 08:55 AM

I put a ims tank on my wr and i think it's great . :)

• slcpunk

Posted February 26, 2004 - 02:11 PM

On the zip ty tank watch out for the muffler clamp. As the tank settles the hot sharp edge of the clamp can rub a hole in the bottom of the tank. Just loosen the clamp and turn it so that sharp edge can't touch anymore.
The tank/yz seat combo improved the ergos of the WR a lot.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.