IMS zip ty 3.1 g tank

28 replies to this topic
  • Rocky_Mountain_Racer

Posted February 10, 2004 - 05:49 PM

I was wondering if this IMS tank is as narrow as a stock YZ tank , and does the gas boil since it hangs down around the motor and how is handling affected by using this tank? :)

• SBG

Posted February 10, 2004 - 06:05 PM

I doubt the gas would boil, but I think the smart thing to do would be to put aluminum tape on the bottom of the tank where it is closest to the pipe. If anything the bike should handle better and feel lighter with the gas sitting that low. I have the Clarke 2.8 and the gas filler is taller which means it won't probably feel as light as the original WRF tank did. I got my tank for looks since I got it in black and wasn't concerned about extra capacity since i usually am able to make any loop on the stock tank. The bad news about tanks other than the Clarke is that they have lame petcocks, or 2 petcocks which I've heard cause some issues.

• Frostbite

Posted February 10, 2004 - 06:48 PM

I ordered the 4 gallon IFS jug last week. I don't know how it's gonna look but I need the extra capacity and it's gotta feel better than a can strapped to my back. It should be here soon. I'll let you know how it works out. I like the posting by the guy who filled his tank with hot water and then then stretched it a couple of liters with compressed air.

• SBG

Posted February 11, 2004 - 05:28 AM

I like the posting by the guy who filled his tank with hot water and then then stretched it a couple of liters with compressed air.

I believe I read that trick in an old Dirtbike or Dirt Rider issue. Maybe 10 or more years back.
Post pics if you can. I'd like to see it.

• yamaboy233

Posted February 11, 2004 - 06:18 AM

I HAVE A 2003 AND A 2004 WR450F. AND I HAVE A ZIP-TY RACING IMS TANK ON BOTH BIKES AND I LOVE THEM BOTH. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE GAS GETTING HOT. BUT THE WAY THEY HAVE YOU ROUTE THE GAS LINE IS TO LONG. THEY HAVE YOU ROUTE IT OVER THE AIR BOOT AND IN TO THE FUEL INLET. BUT ALSO YOU HAVE ANOTHER LINE THAT COMES FORM THE OTHERSIDE. BUT I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT BURING ON THE HEAD PIPE. SO WHAT I DID WAS I TOOK THE CARB OFF AND HEATED THE FUEL INLET UP, WITH A HEAT GUN, AND TWISTED IT TO ABOUT 8 O'CLOCK AND THEN THAT MADE IT GO STRAIGHT IN TO THE PLASTIC T. BUT I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH EITHER TANK. AND IT HANDLES BETTER BECAUSE IT CARRYS THE GAS LOWER. AND YOU HAVE A MORE FLATTER SEAT TANK JUNCTION. BOTH MINE ARE IN DRYBRAKES. AND THE FIT AND FINISH ARE A+. I RACE THE GNCC'S AND THAT IS THE PERFECT TANK. IT WOULD BE MY CHOICE.

• gomopar440

Posted February 11, 2004 - 07:00 AM

DAMN, my ears are ringing! Take the caps lock off!

• Rocky_Mountain_Racer

Posted February 11, 2004 - 04:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. Yamaboy233, does the 04 wr feel top heavy in tight trees and in quick corners? I am trying to decide if I should stick with KTM or give the wr a shot. Our race series up here has a huge variety of terrain, courses with motocross tracks,to very tight treeded courses, to high mountain trails with lots of rocks and deep river crossings. :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted February 11, 2004 - 04:50 PM

Absolutely you have to work harder to left then right a Yamaha in tight woods but it is a dream once you get into bigger turns and stability at higher speed is really fantastic. This bike is a blast to have fun on. I would by a 220 lb 2 stroke for tight woods racing! :)

• Tom14911

Posted February 11, 2004 - 05:13 PM

I have ridden with the IMS tank on my 2001 for a couple of years and I love it. #1 it allowed me to put on a YZ seat and #2 it gave me a heck of a lot more gas. Once you get used to it you don't even know its there. I ride tight single track to sand dunes. Also, no problems with hot gas...........unless its pizza and beer night.

Tom

• yamaboy233

Posted February 13, 2004 - 03:00 AM

I really never had a problem with the wr feeling top heavy in tight woods. With the zip-ty tank it carrys the fuel lower. It carrys it a lot better than the stock tank. I race every gncc but the florida round and I would not have any other bike with any other tank. Buy the zip-ty tank you will not be sorrry.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 13, 2004 - 04:16 AM

The fuel line routing is ridiculous with the WR450 IMS tank. The fuel that goes below the fuel inlet of the carb doesn't get used (if you have a blue IMS tank you'de never know this). When you run out of gas with the IMS tank you have to get off the bike and tip it over on the right side so that the fuel can get to the carb because the right side of the tank is higher than the fuel inlet of the carb.. Also the IMS tank rubs on the valve cover like crazy..

Getting back to the topic, the gas doesn't boil at all, it just sits there and doesn't get used.. It's kind of a slap in the face when you're in the middle of nowhere and you've ran out of gas and can see a quart or more of gas sitting at the bottom of the tank... :D I bought the tank because I race desert and use a dry-break fill system. If the IMS tank gave you a gallon more then it would probably be worth it but it only gives you about a half a gallon. My personal opinion on the tank is that it's a POS... :) On the 426's it's a different story because the IMS is much slimmer than the stocker but on the WR450 the stock tanks are pretty nice.......

Dan

• yamaboy233

Posted February 13, 2004 - 06:44 AM

The way IMS has you route you fuel line is stupid. Here's how I did mine. Take your carb. off and heat the fuel inlet up and turn it to 8 o'clock . And then its a straight shot to the plastic T. That way you dont have to route your fuel line over the airboot. Both of my 2003 and 2004 WR's are set up that way and I have never ran out of gas. And that information came from Dale, Randy Hawkins mechanic at the 2nd round in Georgia of the gncc series.

• Wrench

Posted February 13, 2004 - 07:04 AM

I agree the IMS's routing of the fuel line is ridiculous, actually I can't imagine any knowledgable person running it that way. Unfortnately Yamaha or Kehin or both changed the carb fuel inlet from a rotatable fitting to one that doesn't. The procedure is to remove the carb mount the inlet in a soft jawed vise, heat the boss, no not your wife, the boss that the fitting is inserted in and rotate approx. 170 degrees run the line from the right side of the tank under the inlet manifold and tee with the left fuel line we also place an inline petcock on the right side fuel line to keep from having to drain the tank every time we take it off.

• sdcrooks

Posted February 13, 2004 - 11:28 AM

WTB someones stock 03 / 04 WR tank. I'll pay top $$ if it's in decent shape. Send me a PM if you have one available...

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 14, 2004 - 05:21 AM

Bending the carb inlet on your brand new bike just so you can route the line a little cleaner doesn't make sence to me personaly, you'll still have extra fuel on the left side of the tank that doesn't get used... Maybe you'll get a few more oz of fuel but when you weigh it all out the tank is still a pile... Only my opinion... For years WR fans have complained about the fat tanks on the WR400s and WR426s, Yamaha listened and gave you a great tank. When I go on long rides I always carry extra gas in my backback anyway, after 20 miles I pour it in... Pretty cool..... :)

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 14, 2004 - 05:21 AM

Bending the carb inlet on your brand new bike just so you can route the line a little cleaner doesn't make sence to me personaly, you'll still have extra fuel on the left side of the tank that doesn't get used... Maybe you'll get a few more oz of fuel but when you weigh it all out the tank is still a pile... Only my opinion... For years WR fans have complained about the fat tanks on the WR400s and WR426s, Yamaha listened and gave you a great tank. When I go on long rides I always carry extra gas in my backback anyway, after 20 miles I pour it in... Pretty cool..... :)

• ddialogue

Posted February 23, 2004 - 02:13 PM

Dan,

Does your IMS tank have hoses running from both sides of the tank or only from one side? I ordered up the GYT-R but it looks like a ball-buster and was looking at the ZipTy 3.3gallon tank. It sounds like the IMS 3.1 only has a fuel line/petcock on one side of the tank while the Zipty 3.3 version has two fuel lines (one petcock, though.) I like how sleek the IMS tanks are, though.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted February 23, 2004 - 07:08 PM

Dave, the IMS has two lines, one petcock on the left side and one elbow that screws into the tank on the right side. It takes some time to get the lines all hooked up but once you get it done you should be fine...

Dan

• ddialogue

Posted February 23, 2004 - 07:29 PM

So, do you still have issues with having to splash gas from one side to the other, even though it has two lines? :)

• Wrench

Posted February 24, 2004 - 04:39 AM

Dan you don't bend it you heat and rotate it just takes a little finesse. Unlike the KTM RFS (Yes I have one of them too) which have a great rotatable fuel inlet. Yamaha use to have the same inlet as the KTM but changed to a fixed position on the 2003 WRs I suspect it was for cost reduction, theirs not ours of course. How do you like your new KTM? Great bikes aren't they?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.