Slight wobble on rear tire

7 replies to this topic
  • Snrub0800

Posted February 18, 2015 - 05:41 PM

Was riding today and my rear tire had a slight wobble. I later checked the tire while the bike was raised and it wobbled just a hair. Is this bad?

• stevethe

Posted February 18, 2015 - 05:54 PM

Not necessarily the rim could need truing. The tire may not be seated on the rim also.
Look at the tire bead all the way around to see if it's straight. You can also tape a couple of pencils on the swing arm to the rim to see if it has a wobble.

Edited by stevethe, February 18, 2015 - 05:54 PM.

• toten

Posted February 18, 2015 - 07:54 PM

If the rim isn't wobbling but the tire is, it might be a seating problem. If the rim is wobbling, it means that at a minimum it needs to be trued, it's possible it's bent. 

• Snrub0800

Posted February 18, 2015 - 09:47 PM

The tire does have foam in it. Could that cause anything?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Chas_M

Posted February 19, 2015 - 04:59 AM

The tire does have foam in it. Could that cause anything?

Please explain - - What foam?

• stevethe

Posted February 19, 2015 - 05:56 AM

Foam may or may not have anything to do with it. The tire may simply need more air to properly seat on the bead. If your rim is bent you should tighten your spokes in any case.

• stevethe

Posted February 19, 2015 - 06:42 AM

This is a picture of my secret weapon woods bike. If you look closely you will notice the bead of the tire is not straight all the way around the rim. Look for the line on the tire next to the rim. In this case the radial tire just does not seat on the Excel rim. Every time I air it down it pops off the bead.  :rant: It does wobble however I just don't pay any attention to it. (The tire was too expensive to replace untill worn) :thumbsup: BBRtire_zpsaa36ec6a.jpg

• Snrub0800

Posted February 19, 2015 - 10:16 PM

First, that is one hella big tire. Second, there is no air in the rear tire it is some type of foam insert that was added by previous owner. I was taking a closer look at it and it seems the wheel is fine but the tire may not be on right. It rides fine and brakes fine, if I notice a difference in the next week or so then I'll do something.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.