How does a yz450f handle in the woods!

58 replies to this topic
  • pre-mixed

Posted March 13, 2015 - 04:21 PM

This thread is right what I was looking for. Going yz250fx or yz450. Being 230lb A enduro guy, I know the 450 would be fun, but not Ideal. I feel like the 250 would leave me flat. Although the 6 speed would help in the open stuff. Any suggestions?

Since you are in Michigan what is the terrain like that you ride most? Flat and tight trees? If there is much elevation change or climbs I would say you should probably go 450 for a guy of your size.

Flat ground, tight trees no big open straights? A 250FX might be a good idea.

Do you ride wrapped out or lug it around? A 250 you are going to want to keep it higher in the RPM's 450 you can lug it around and still be going fast.

• Superbike Mike

Posted March 13, 2015 - 05:01 PM

Lots of trees. Mostly flowy national enduro stuff. Some pretty tight stuff. I have been on a yz 250 2t for 7 years. So I rev that a lot needless to say. Most the open stuff at our hare scrambles/enduro is grass track or moto. Just a few long straights. I worry most about the 450 is starting and stalling. Having some 426 flashbacks. I do want to stay blue.

• Superbike Mike

Posted March 13, 2015 - 05:03 PM

I know the fx will be a good bike. I kinda worry about wringing it to death. The last hour of a hs i think it would be amazing!

• Monk

Posted March 13, 2015 - 05:51 PM

Lots of trees. Mostly flowy national enduro stuff. Some pretty tight stuff. I have been on a yz 250 2t for 7 years. So I rev that a lot needless to say. Most the open stuff at our hare scrambles/enduro is grass track or moto. Just a few long straights. I worry most about the 450 is starting and stalling. Having some 426 flashbacks. I do want to stay blue.

Nothing these days are like old 400/426s. 9/10 the Yamaha starts 1-2 kicks. If you liked your YZ, the 450 will suite you well...

Edited by Monk, March 13, 2015 - 05:51 PM.

• Zackdocks

Posted March 19, 2015 - 12:17 PM

I find when I stall my yz450f it can be a pita to start. Cold is always 2-3 kicks, stalling on a trail sometimes I'm kicking for awhile (unless I kick with throttle open once to clear it)

• Hurricane

Posted March 19, 2015 - 12:56 PM

I find when I stall my yz450f it can be a pita to start. Cold is always 2-3 kicks, stalling on a trail sometimes I'm kicking for awhile (unless I kick with throttle open once to clear it)

Are you using the hot start?  Mine usually fires up with 2 to 3 kicks if you use the hot start, if not it will take a while.

• Superbike Mike

Posted March 19, 2015 - 02:29 PM

Carburated or fi?

• Goforaride

Posted March 19, 2015 - 08:48 PM

Mine Is fi. Takes 1-3 kicks after a stall under ideal conditions..... Flat ground or kicker on the downhill side and not to far into the ride. If I'm in a situation where A good solid kick is hard to do or I am wore out, both of which are almost always the case after a stall in the woods, it May take 5-10 or even more tries to fire. But that is not so much the bike as it is the circumstances. If I'm on a track it's almost always a single kick restart. One thing I will warn of is to not open your throttle when you are trying to restart your fi bike after a stall. On a couple different occasions I have had the kicker shoot up with tremendous force from having the throttle open and it creating a backfire. It's not much fun and it kinda hurts the hip, knee and ankle. If your in a awkward position you could probably launch yourself right off the bike.

Edited by Goforaride, March 19, 2015 - 08:52 PM.

• Hurricane

Posted March 20, 2015 - 05:04 AM

Carburated or fi?

carb

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Superbike Mike

Posted March 20, 2015 - 06:46 AM

Thanks. My experience has been with the carb bikes only. They can be a bear...

• Hurricane

Posted March 20, 2015 - 06:52 AM

Thanks. My experience has been with the carb bikes only. They can be a bear...

Mine too, never rode an FI bike.  My 07 was hard to start until I got the jetting worked out, now it fires up easy.  As long as pull the hot start after a stall if fires up 3 kicks max. 

• mdsharon

Posted March 20, 2015 - 08:10 AM

If valves are out of spec hard to start. After adjusting them its starts easy, And rekluse with save you alot of energy no stalling!! On my 07 never ever touch hot start.

• Hurricane

Posted March 20, 2015 - 08:14 AM

If valves are out of spec hard to start. After adjusting them its starts easy, And rekluse with save you alot of energy no stalling!! On my 07 never ever touch hot start.

Well if your not stalling the motor then you shouldn't need the hot start.  I rarely stall my bike but when I do the hot start helps a lot, I run a heavy flywheel on mine and my valve are in spec.

• mdsharon

Posted March 20, 2015 - 08:21 AM

I have heavy flywheel to just sayin,have not seen anyone in our group ever take out the rekluse after trying it your hooked.

• Hurricane

Posted March 20, 2015 - 08:27 AM

I have heavy flywheel to just sayin,have not seen anyone in our group ever take out the rekluse after trying it your hooked.

I had one in my kx250 2 stroke and they are cool, really help in the rough stuff.  But when I got my Yamaha I guess I didn't like it or miss it enough to spend the money on it again.

• Zackdocks

Posted March 20, 2015 - 11:47 AM

Mine is FI. Rarely restarts 1st kick after a stall, usually 2-3 sometimes 10... 10 hours on it too. I am running the less hit map and restarting is worse now than it was with stock map, but it's easier to ride in trails

• shrubitup

Posted March 20, 2015 - 12:18 PM

Had a 09 yz450 for trails. All great except starting after a stall. Sold due to this. Certain smokers also hard to start after a stall. Sold my husky (Cagiva not Ktm) wr300 due to this. Have a kx250 smoker now and most always first kick hot. FX or 15 wr250f with 6 spd and estart seems the ticket to me. Tapped out a hot 250f with w.r. Transmission is fast on flat ground. Still tho they're $8K new. Wait a few years more....

• yzdaddy

Posted March 21, 2015 - 03:06 AM

Mine is FI. Rarely restarts 1st kick after a stall, usually 2-3 sometimes 10... 10 hours on it too. I am running the less hit map and restarting is worse now than it was with stock map, but it's easier to ride in trails

The efi bikes are a pain in the ass to start when their new hot or cold. I dont think maps make alot of difference as far as starting goes until you get some hours on em. When I first bought mine it was such a pain in the ass to start I thought this may be the first yam. that I set fire to. When it was hot and stalled you could kick till you almost passed out. After putting some time on it doesnt seem to be a big issue however it will never start as easy as 09 back to 03. 

• 03yzf450-kuke

Posted March 21, 2015 - 05:36 AM

I loooove my 03 450 on the trails. Sooo much bottom end and u can stay in first or second gear all day. I just had to put a 13t sprocket on the front to handle the tight stuff better without stalling

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.