How does a yz450f handle in the woods!

58 replies to this topic
  • Goforaride

Posted February 19, 2015 - 04:33 PM

My first reflex when I saw the original question was to respond with a question: "How does a pig play a violin?"

That's not altogether fair, of course, but the YZ450F is certainly out of its element as a woods bike. The suspension is stiff, the engine is too cantankerous, the rear wheel is wrong, and the gear box is a close ratio setup. It is light, and is workable, but you do have to make some changes to get it to work well.

IMO, the only reason to go with a YZ instead of a WR is if you're buying used. YZ's are a lot easier to find good examples of, and usually less expensive. But if you're buying new, there will be a lot less expense involved in getting more power from the WR engine than in correcting the shortcomings of a YZ to suit the role really well.

I totally forgot.about the WR. The new wr250 is supposed to be one heck of an offroad machine. Plus it looks identical to the yz-50f. Couldnt go wrong choosing one for a woods bike.

• dirtbeater

Posted February 19, 2015 - 05:34 PM

I had an 06 wr250. It was good for learning how to ride. I thought about a big bore kit but went another direction. I guess at some point I should ride a true woods bike set up for me. I really like my 06 yz suspension compared to woods bikes I have ridden.

• Goforaride

Posted February 19, 2015 - 09:17 PM

Man, you should have bought a KTM 250XCF, you sure have a hate on for your Yamaha.

you have me all wrong. I love my Yamaha when I'm on a track doing what it was designed to do. I am 30 and I have been riding for 25 of those years. I have never ridden a bike that does better on the track. I have had bikes that were far worse in the woods but I have also been on bikes that were made for the woods. All I am saying is that the yz450f in stock form will never be at home in the woods. I ride with a couple top expert xc racers and they leave me in the dust in the woods. When we switch bikes I can keep up tho. They ride my bike slower and I feel like I'm on cloud 9 on their bikes. I'm not bashing Yamaha I'm being realistic. Those same bikes that I love in the woods, I would absolutely hate on a track.

• Wristrockit

Posted February 21, 2015 - 06:26 AM

I'm a bigish fella, fat really, 6' 245+ and I find the WR450 to be an excellent choice for the woods.  Yeah, it's no 220 lb. YZ250 but it's not too much to handle.  Of course, I'm not a professional racer either.

• dirtbeater

Posted February 21, 2015 - 08:59 AM

Sorry to inform you but 6' 245 is not fat.

• Monk

Posted February 21, 2015 - 09:00 AM

Sorry to inform you but 6' 245 is not fat.

If it's not muscle, then yes, that's fat...

• dirtbeater

Posted February 21, 2015 - 09:02 AM

Was joking

• Zackdocks

Posted February 22, 2015 - 08:59 AM

I recently upgraded from an 03 wr250f to a 13 yz450f, for woods riding (not racing). The suspension is unreal in stock form, and I ride lots of rocks and roots. I turned the compression clickers out on both fork and shock, but they're not maxed out. Works great, nice and plush for the rocks and roots but soaks up the big hits drop offs and jumps with ease. I'm 5'11 185lbs for reference. The power yes that wears me out, but its manageable and I'm out of riding shape after having a kid and not being able to get out as much. Aside from the guards, I regeared the rear sprocket to a 51 tooth (48 stock), installed the gytr flywheel weight (noticeable difference) and got the tuner. The tuner IMO is a must have, I've been running the less hit map and it really helps down low. That being said, I still get arm pump like a bitch for the first hour or so, and it's a pain to kickstart all the time when I stall at Mcnutt. I love my bike, but if I was buying another bike now I would go for the yz250fx without a doubt.

Monk I hear you're friends with Andrew (pittbull)?

• Monk

Posted February 22, 2015 - 10:36 AM

I recently upgraded from an 03 wr250f to a 13 yz450f, for woods riding (not racing). The suspension is unreal in stock form, and I ride lots of rocks and roots. I turned the compression clickers out on both fork and shock, but they're not maxed out. Works great, nice and plush for the rocks and roots but soaks up the big hits drop offs and jumps with ease. I'm 5'11 185lbs for reference. The power yes that wears me out, but its manageable and I'm out of riding shape after having a kid and not being able to get out as much. Aside from the guards, I regeared the rear sprocket to a 51 tooth (48 stock), installed the gytr flywheel weight (noticeable difference) and got the tuner. The tuner IMO is a must have, I've been running the less hit map and it really helps down low. That being said, I still get arm pump like a bitch for the first hour or so, and it's a pain to kickstart all the time when I stall at Mcnutt. I love my bike, but if I was buying another bike now I would go for the yz250fx without a doubt.

Monk I hear you're friends with Andrew (pittbull)?

Yup, ridden together quite a few times...

• Wiz636

Posted February 25, 2015 - 08:14 PM

A YZ450 can be made into a badass woods bike. I've done it several times. Yes, it takes some modding and setup but when it's all said and done it's still MUCH less expensive than buying a KTM. And you get legendary Yamaha reliability.

E-start? Give me a break, most people I know with e-start bikes more often than not have old batteries that are not capable of actually starting the bike. And in dead-engine racing starts using the kick starter will fire the bike up faster than the button.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Navaho6

Posted March 01, 2015 - 06:24 PM

Big gap between B and A/AA riders. I don't know your type of racing but a 450 will beat you up, period!as mentioned, either a 250F or a 250 2t are going to be the best route... A 250FX to me sounds like an awesome machine!

I ride a 2009 YZ450F set up for wood (flywheel weight, 18" rear wheel, suspension revalve, etc.).  I ride 90% single track.  Only problem I have with the YZ450 is stalling when I get tired.  However, I was just as bad about stalling with my other 450's, ('06 WR, '13 WR)

I rode a 250FX yesterday.  Awesome bike.  I was instantly as comfortable on it as my YZ.  If I were racing, I'd be in the B class for enduros and the 250FX would be my choice.  Since I don't race anymore, I prefer the 450 just because all that power puts a big grin on my face.  I love that low end torque and the monster hit!!!  The 250FX was plenty strong enough to not be boring but it's still a 250.

Edited by Navaho6, March 01, 2015 - 06:27 PM.

• yzdaddy

Posted March 03, 2015 - 08:57 AM

I ride a 2009 YZ450F set up for wood (flywheel weight, 18" rear wheel, suspension revalve, etc.).  I ride 90% single track.  Only problem I have with the YZ450 is stalling when I get tired.  However, I was just as bad about stalling with my other 450's, ('06 WR, '13 WR)

I rode a 250FX yesterday.  Awesome bike.  I was instantly as comfortable on it as my YZ.  If I were racing, I'd be in the B class for enduros and the 250FX would be my choice.  Since I don't race anymore, I prefer the 450 just because all that power puts a big grin on my face.  I love that low end torque and the monster hit!!!  The 250FX was plenty strong enough to not be boring but it's still a 250.

I rode one of the new 250 s on a race track and was tons of fun didnt get to take in the woods but I would imagine it would be just as much fun or more in the woods. Your right though nothin like 450 s wheelie on command it will make you grin a little lmao

• kcrpkx125

Posted March 03, 2015 - 06:16 PM

I have a 2010 yz450. I've had it about 3 years it's not bad in the woods but it's rough in really tight stuff.

• yzdaddy

Posted March 04, 2015 - 04:32 AM

In the tight stuff the 450 does require a little more clutch action but there are still fun to ride int the woods

• ranam

Posted March 04, 2015 - 06:51 PM

I love my 07 450 in the woods, havnt changed anything. I am on the clutch alot, but thats what its there for. Thinking of a recluse.

• jkimmel

Posted March 05, 2015 - 11:36 AM

I ride an 07 YZ450 primarily in the woods, Stock it was tough but doable. I added skids, heavy tubes, a Rekluse and had the suspension re-valved. I couldn't be happier actually. I'm considering a 15 for my new one. I know its lacking e start but my 07 starts with one gentle kick every time once its warmed up. You're going to add skids and bark busters no matter what, heavy tubes aren't too much money, a Rekluse is worth its weight in gold in tight woods on this bike and after a re-valve the suspension is 100% better no matter what terrain you're riding. 

• n16ht5

Posted March 06, 2015 - 10:54 AM

You might look at a new husky 300. If I had unlimited funding I would have one for racing. I love my YZ450F but it I am only riding it because it works great on a Timbersled and it is reliable. I have it set up for woods, and it does the job well, but I wouldn't pick it if I were planning to race. A 450 is just not ideal in the woods. I'm faster on a smoker or a 250F in the tight stuff by a long ways. I am planning to buy a Husaberg FE250 for a race bike this weekend because the dang 300 smokers are so expensive used.

• Hurricane

Posted March 12, 2015 - 09:49 AM

I love my yz450 in the woods.  My setup consists of flywheel weight, 1 tooth up on the back sprocket, steering damper, large tank, skid plate and hand guards, the rest of the bike is stock.  As many others have said I think the suspension is fantastic in the woods, it is on the stiffer side but if you are fast it should be.  I'll have to admit that in my opinion I still believe a 250 2 stroke is the best all around woods bike and if I still raced I would have one. 

• pre-mixed

Posted March 12, 2015 - 09:35 PM

I thought you was talking about a yz250f. I have been looking at the 250fx, it seems like a great woods bike! I also thought about a husqvarna TE250, I have never ridden one but I have heard they are a great woods bike. They are expensive and I have a hard time finding used ones for sale(trying to find a 2013 model at least). Ktm's are great but I have rode several different kinds and they are not just my kinda bike. As of money on the bikes, I'm really passionate for bikes, so that's all I spend my money on, building it up with upgrades, looks, etc... Suggesting on a TE250, and where I could find ones used for a decent price?

If a KTM is just not your thing getting a white one that says husky on the side probably isn't going to do it for you either. If you have the money I would say get a new YZ 250FX.

If you are riding a 125 and doing as well as you sound you probably are not that big of a boy. Could you ride a 450? Yes, Would you do better on a late model YZ 250F? Probably.

• Superbike Mike

Posted March 13, 2015 - 02:04 PM

This thread is right what I was looking for. Going yz250fx or yz450. Being 230lb A enduro guy, I know the 450 would be fun, but not Ideal. I feel like the 250 would leave me flat. Although the 6 speed would help in the open stuff. Any suggestions?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.