How to eliminate the power punch at mid rpm from a 15 bike

9 replies to this topic
  • Tiago

Posted February 17, 2015 - 11:53 AM

Like the title, this is issue wears out my forearms alot sooner than it would be suppose to happen. Is there any solution? Mapping?

The only "power mod" on my bike is a stainless Dr.D muffler. I believe that is more a weight saving mod than a power mod. :p

• C64DK

Posted February 19, 2015 - 04:35 PM

I have the same question. I'm 50 years old and don't have the strength I used to have.

I didn't really need the most powerful 450 made, but just didn't want to deal with air forks. Plus I love everything else about this bike.

Can it be softened up with the tuner, or maybe a flywheel weight?? Any other ideas??

Thanks,

DK

• Tiago

Posted February 19, 2015 - 06:09 PM

From what i have read over the internet it seems that the best way to detune or change the power curve of the engine is through the ecu mapping customization. For that you need the GYTR Power Tune device that you can buy at any Yamaha dealer on their special parts catalog.

• MJP68

Posted February 19, 2015 - 09:18 PM

The tuner is worth a try, honestly its worth the investment if you like to experiment. 

OP described EXACTLY why I went with the 250F instead of the 450

• GHILL28

Posted February 20, 2015 - 01:05 PM

The Dubach pipe gave more of a hit in the middle I found, and flattened the low end.  I'm still experimenting with mapping to get that low end "oomph" back.  The hit in the middle does just about nothing for me except for a couple of spots on the MX track.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tiago

Posted February 21, 2015 - 03:50 AM

The tuner is worth a try, honestly its worth the investment if you like to experiment.

OP described EXACTLY why I went with the 250F instead of the 450

It may sound odd for most but i actually feel the 450 a more relaxing bike than the 250. With the 450 you don't need momentum or exit speed to clear bigger jumps. You can also run a gear up and take advantage of the torque. But most of all, it is a cheaper and easier bike with maintainance.

The Dubach pipe gave more of a hit in the middle I found, and flattened the low end. I'm still experimenting with mapping to get that low end "oomph" back. The hit in the middle does just about nothing for me except for a couple of spots on the MX track.

I will receive my power tuner next tuesday. My plan is:

Fuel
+0 +0 +0
+1 +2 +1
+2 +3 +2

Timing
+0 +0 +0
+0 -1 +0
-1 -2 -1

What do you think?

Edited by Tiago, February 21, 2015 - 03:55 AM.

• MESSMAKER

Posted February 25, 2015 - 10:24 PM

I put a full yosh system on a 14 and it does pull harder and longer, but it took almost all the annoying bark out of the bottom end which allows me to push harder longer. I only ride every other weekend at best so this mod along with the flywheel weight made a night and day difference for me.

• CZRoger

Posted February 26, 2015 - 08:20 AM

Maybe a change in riding technique as well? I find myself riding way more over the front of these efi bikes.

• C64DK

Posted February 28, 2015 - 05:55 PM

I put a full yosh system on a 14 and it does pull harder and longer, but it took almost all the annoying bark out of the bottom end which allows me to push harder longer. I only ride every other weekend at best so this mod along with the flywheel weight made a night and day difference for me.

Which flywheel weight did you use, and how much did it change the feel?

Thanks,

DK

• MESSMAKER

Posted March 02, 2015 - 08:14 AM

Which flywheel weight did you use, and how much did it change the feel?

Thanks,

DK

It really didnt change the amount of power it has, it just made it more manageable and doesn't  always want to stall now. I used the gytr because its a whole new flywheel not something that gets bolted on the existing flywheel that has potential to come off. I think it cured the stalling problem and the exhaust made it more manageable 

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.