Tech Help Request '02 WR426

12 replies to this topic
  • bcs001

Posted February 10, 2004 - 03:38 PM

I'm a new member here and have been looking for a used 426 to purchase. I juat came across a 2002 fixer-up-er. Odo is showing only 125 miles (not sure if it is legit)but here is what I found when I inspected it:

Oil leak from what looks to be the left side cylinder to crankcase base gasket.

The top middle left side cover screw hole stripped right below the oil leak. Crankcase will need a helicoil.

Engine screws and bolts look to have been wrenched on so I think the engine has been opened for an unknown reason.

The engine strut between the frame(under gas tank)and the rear side of the cylinder is missing. I am assuming there is supposed to be a link there based on the holes in the cylinder looking like there was once something mounted to it. Can anyone verify this for me?

Rear brake master cylinder resivour mount broken, and plastic cylinder melted to the exhaust pipe. Will need a replacement resivour.

Lots of missing screws and bolts, fender mounts, radiator mounts, etc. No big deal to replace. Nothing broken.

Chain obviously neglected. Completely dry but not too stretched. Counershaft sprocket will need to be replace.

Rear tire bald from being ridden up and down Looooog driveway to neighbors house.

He says pipe was replaced but it still says Yamaha on it. Looks like a stock unit with baffle removed. Is there possibly a Yamaha brand pipe that was put on?

All brake caliper and rotors look good. All controls work. Bike started on first kick and ran excellent. Suspension feels good.

Everything I have found is minor and easy to fix with the exception of the engine oil leak and the unknown reason the motor may have been torn down.

Any thoughts on what may have been done?

If I try hard I believe I can buy it as-is for somewhere between $2500 - $2700. What do you guys think? How much risk do you see with the engine oil leak. I would definately have the leak fixed and cross my fingers that nothing serious would be found.

Thanks for any responses,
Bruce.

• SANMAN222

Posted February 10, 2004 - 05:23 PM

$2,500 is to much for a bike that looks like some greasy hands have been in. Trust your instincts on this one. If they where that careless with there work it isn't good. The rest of the bike sounds good, but there are more bikes out there. DON'T GET BURNED!

• RSA210

Posted February 10, 2004 - 06:31 PM

Sounds like a $2500 Headache :D :D :)

• Sylvain

Posted February 10, 2004 - 10:01 PM

He says

If you can't have infos on the bike from that guy, it's sounds like a surprise package !

Obviously this bike was neglected. You have to realise that a wr is a more like a tactical enduro weapon than a casual trail bike. This machine needs to be maintained at a high level. If there is no record of what has been done to the bike, and you "feel" the bike is still for you, do your homework. Compression test, have it checked by a trusty mechanic, make a list of what you need to make it right, evaluate in $$ and compare price for similar bikes.

High hp + high rev + irregular oil change + bad maintenance = bad surprises.

Don't get me wrong, these bikes can take a lot of abuse, but even the best can fail when not properly taken care of.

• sabin

Posted February 10, 2004 - 10:10 PM

NEVER buy a neglected race bike!!! :) :D :D :D :D :D :D

After a year the when you drow the line you will see that you have spend so much money to make it in good shape, that it will be much better to get new one!

• oldbones

Posted February 11, 2004 - 02:34 AM

My '02 has way more than ten times the milage this guy is trying to tell you his has. He is lying to you.

At 125 miles, I could have mounted a fresh back tire, given my bike a bath, and you wouldn't have been able to tell it had TEN miles on it. Even now, I have had a total of ONE bolt rattle out in 2-1/2 years of riding this bike, and the worst failure was the endcap fell off my aftermarket pipe (broken rivets). The only bolts on the engine I have touched were to change oil/filter.

The funny thing is, I think I am pretty hard on my bike. I ride it as hard as I possibly can, and it has given me no trouble.

I don't know what this guy has done to this bike, if he isn't telling you why he had the motor apart, then he is hiding something.

I would be very wary... :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PowerFiend

Posted February 11, 2004 - 06:58 AM

If you have the knowledge to go through the entire motor, I would say it may be worth $2000. But do not be surprised if it ends up costing a bunch to get back to A1 shape. The motor sounds like it could be a gamble.

• Hick

Posted February 11, 2004 - 07:03 AM

I juat came across a 2002 fixer-up-er....

Well, you are a remarkably observant used bike shopper.

I agree with the other guys, this bike has too many issues, whatever $$ you save could easily end up right back in the bike, and most people buy them to ride, not wrench on (but to each his own I guess). Anybody too dense to replace the headstay on a teardown/rebuild is obviously not a very thorough mechanic.

I would think you are better off finding an older bike that has been ridden less (and worked on not-at-all). You appear to be perfectly capable of identifying just such a bike.

Hope this helps, and happy shopping.

• bcs001

Posted February 11, 2004 - 06:47 PM

Thanks for the inputs guys. Unfortunately I am on a tight budget and I can't really afford a mint condition 2002 so that was why I gave this bike some consideration. (He is currently down to $2500 with a wife telling him to get rid of it NOW!!)

I am still trying to assess the engine work that may have been done. In the mean time the guy who has it now (2nd owner) may have figured out the oil leak was coming from the top of the flywheel cover. Some of the bolts were too short and just not gripping the threads.

If this is true and the leak is fixed then I will go back and re-inspect the engine some more. At least pull the plug and go over all the engine bolts to see if I can definitively say the engine has been cracked open. It is possible someone wrenched on the bolts just to make sure everyting was tight.

If I can convince myself that engine is in good shape then I may take the risk and buy it. I would then do valve adjustment, ALL fluids, tires, chain, sprockets and replace missing parts. If I find no surprises then I should have a bike worth well more than I have in it. Then again I could get screwed.

Guess I will really test my 22 years of mechanical engineering skills on this one.

Bruce.

• dale

Posted February 12, 2004 - 01:43 PM

It sounds like a major gamble. If you budget is tight, then what will you do if the engine comes apart? If I only had $2500 to spend, I would look for a good XR250 or KDX200. I know these are not in the same league, but I would always take a slow dependable bike over something in bad condition that may leave me broke down out in the woods.

• tcmII

Posted February 12, 2004 - 03:34 PM

I thought I made a post on this earlier, but can't find it.

Listen to the other folks, $2500 for a bike that needs that much work is trouble. Like the others have said, first its $2500, then its the money to fix the problems and then, (and don't forget this) the items you need to set the bike up. I don't know about you but I weight more than 160 and I think most WR4** riders do. A new shock spring is going to set you back $100. I know you said you were on a budget, but if you own the bike and can't ride :) :D :D

You should take a look at ebay. If your budget is $2500, plus money to fix, you will probably find something you'll like and can ride right away. :D :D :D

Good look!

• PowerFiend

Posted February 13, 2004 - 06:42 AM

I am still trying to assess the engine work that may have been done. In the mean time the guy who has it now (2nd owner) may have figured out the oil leak was coming from the top of the flywheel cover. Some of the bolts were too short and just not gripping the threads.

They are not stock bolts if they are to short.

If I can convince myself that engine is in good shape then I may take the risk and buy it. I would then do valve adjustment, ALL fluids, tires, chain, sprockets and replace missing parts. If I find no surprises then I should have a bike worth well more than I have in it. Then again I could get screwed.

Guess I will really test my 22 years of mechanical engineering skills on this one.

I'm the type of person that would want piece of mind. In this bikes case I would tear it entirely down and go through it.

Heck, I adjusted the valves, flushed all fluids, and regreased and retorqued everything on mine when I got it... and it only had about 20 hrs. on it.

• yamaha.dude

Posted February 13, 2004 - 08:05 PM

The flywheel cover has two bolts that are longer than the rest... they may have been put back in the wrong locations... :)

David

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.