Strange noise on startup?

6 replies to this topic
  • ewr2004

Posted February 15, 2015 - 04:00 PM

I changed the oil this afternoon and when starting the bike was greeted with the noise in the video link below. Any ideas?

• Thommo_400f

Posted February 15, 2015 - 04:06 PM

I would guess it's the 1-way bearing on the starter gear slipping.

• ThumpMe

Posted February 20, 2015 - 08:40 AM

I would try first kicking it over with kick start to see if you feel anything wrong. Then a little faster, then even start it with the kick starter. If it does not make any sounds there I would then first check the electric start motor. Could be a bearing or something in it, like dust/dirt buildup or even carbon if it ate a brush.

I did have had a starter clutch go out on my '03 and it made some geeawd awful noises but they were different from what I am hearing on this video. That makes me think it is a starter motor issue. Sometimes just cleaning out a starter motor will work wonders.

If not the starter I would guess possibly the starter clutch mext.

What year is it?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ewr2004

Posted February 20, 2015 - 10:09 AM

The bike is a 2006. No problem kicking through, or starting, on the kick start.

• ThumpMe

Posted February 20, 2015 - 06:51 PM

I would definitely check the electric starter first then as it is easier to get to and cheaper to fix than that starter clutch.

SInce your is an '06  they already had the improved starter/backfire clutch from the factory so hopefully that is not the problem. Mine is an '03 and that probably had a lot to do with it going out.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 20, 2015 - 06:57 PM

That's the starter clutch slipping

• Thommo_400f

Posted February 21, 2015 - 12:14 AM

^^^ easy to replace. 15 min job.
Cheap too.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.