Quiet exhaust options?

12 replies to this topic
  • toten

Posted February 14, 2015 - 09:10 PM

I recently picked up an 03 WR450. Plated, supermoto, etc. It currently has what appears to be a PowerBomb header connected to what appears to be a stock can. When I look in the end with a flashlight I see mesh, so I think the spark arrestor is intact. 

However, it's quite loud. Sometimes I enjoy loud, but sometimes stealth is nice as well. 

Is the stock can repackable? If so, is it reasonably quiet with fresh packing? Is there anything that may have been removed that would make it loud? If not, any suggestions for something reasonably priced?

• rah7777777

Posted February 15, 2015 - 11:40 AM

I have an 06 450f that I put a powerbomb header and Q4 pipe on.

It has more tone over stock but not bad. Riding with my friend who has a 250f with powerbomb and powercore pipe, you'd never know my bike was even running.....

I can't see how the header with stock pipe would be too loud, I wonder if the pipes been worked internally?
I have the spark arrester or on my 450, he has no spark arrester on his 250.

• zibbit u2

Posted February 15, 2015 - 03:24 PM

Is the stock can repackable? If so, is it reasonably quiet with fresh packing? Is there anything that may have been removed that would make it loud? If not, any suggestions for something reasonably priced?

I think most OEM silencers can be repacked.  It usually involves drilling out rivets to completely disassemble the pipe.

• toten

Posted February 15, 2015 - 05:27 PM

I don't see any rivets on the stock can, and the service manual doesn't list repacking. I read somewhere else that it uses baffles rather than packing. 

I don't see how it would be loud either, unless it's been modified inside. 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 16, 2015 - 04:00 PM

The rivets are at the other (motor) end

• toten

Posted February 16, 2015 - 04:32 PM

Does it use normal packing?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted February 16, 2015 - 05:54 PM

Does it use normal packing?

I think the '03 was the first year to go with replaceable packing.

Some other models use mechanical (baffles) packing

• JVP

Posted February 19, 2015 - 09:17 AM

The stock muffle can be repacked.  However, they weigh a ton.  Lexx make a good muffler for a good price and you will save a few pounds.  Check RockyMountain.

• toten

Posted February 19, 2015 - 10:42 AM

I looked closer and see no rivets anywhere on the can. The front of it is tapered, and there's no obvious front cap that could be removed. The only way I can figure out to take it apart is unbolt the endcap, and I'm not sure how far apart it goes. 

The price on the Lexx is attractive, do you know what it weighs? They just give a weight savings rather than a weight. Should it fit my Powerbomb header... and should i keep said header on rather than putting the stock one back on? 

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 19, 2015 - 10:53 AM

The Lexx is a POS.

Unless you ride nothing but street, the junction adaptor, and the piper hanger will self destruct in a matter of months.

Go FMF Q4 if you want a good value.

The 2003 was still mechanical

• JVP

Posted February 19, 2015 - 12:12 PM

The Lexx is a POS.

Unless you ride nothing but street, the junction adaptor, and the piper hanger will self destruct in a matter of months.

Go FMF Q4 if you want a good value.

The 2003 was still mechanical

I totally disagree with your assessment.  I have had a  LEXX on my 04 WR for over 8 years and have zero problems.  It is quite and can be easily repacked.  FMF are quality products.  However, they are way too expensive for what you are getting.  Their name(FMF) cost you extra $200. Look at the FMF Snap.  It is $100 for two pieces of sheet metal with some holes in it.    As far a weight. I would say the LEXX is about 1/3 of Stock.  You can use it with the Power Bomb or Stock Pipe.  BTW the Power Bomb is another over priced FMF product.  The stock pipes on the Yamaha 4 Strokes are good to go.   

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 19, 2015 - 01:52 PM

I totally disagree with your assessment.  I have had a  LEXX on my 04 WR for over 8 years and have zero problems.  It is quite and can be easily repacked.  FMF are quality products.  However, they are way too expensive for what you are getting.  Their name(FMF) cost you extra $200. Look at the FMF Snap.  It is $100 for two pieces of sheet metal with some holes in it.    As far a weight. I would say the LEXX is about 1/3 of Stock.  You can use it with the Power Bomb or Stock Pipe.  BTW the Power Bomb is another over priced FMF product.  The stock pipes on the Yamaha 4 Strokes are good to go.   

Disagree all you want

Read the reviews: they don't fit tightly, the mid pipe two-piece arrangement is mickey mouse, and they dont last.

FMF is the least expensive non-chinese pipe you can buy.

• toten

Posted February 19, 2015 - 08:54 PM

The powerbomb header was on the bike when I bought it, with the stock header included as well. There was also an FMF T4 (I think... I'd have to go look) that was cracked to hell, looked to be from vibration.

It'll be pretty much street only, with occasional kart track and very occasional trail riding. It's primarily set up as a supermoto. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.