Suspension Adjustment

3 replies to this topic
  • Snrub0800

Posted February 13, 2015 - 06:23 PM

I got an 09 wr450 about 2 weeks ago and I have been trail riding and wheelies. I noticed the front forks are pretty firm so I looked on YouTube and found something and tried it. First I got the front lifted up then bled the forks after I followed their instructions, the top of the fork there's the bleeder and adjuster and they said turn the adjuster clockwise until it gets firm and stop, then 12 clicks(12 is the middle according to them) counterclockwise and the same on the other side and on the rebound on the bottom. I haven't ridden it yet but from just sitting on it I can tell it's much softer. Did I do this right?

• RockerYZWR

Posted February 13, 2015 - 07:35 PM

On those forks, the adjuster screw you want to mess with first for overly firm forks is the compression adjuster, and that's on the bottom of each fork, possibly covered by a little rubber cap that you pry out with your flathead screwdriver.

The top adjuster that you were turning is the rebound adjuster. I don't quite remember the total click count for compression and rebound on those, but a good place to start and adjust from is the middle of the range.

Tighten each adjuster, compression and rebound, left and right, until it's lightly seated. Then turn each out (left) carefully, counting each click - it'll most likely be around 22 +/- a couple clicks - until they lightly stop. Now turn them back in half that total number of clicks and you'll be in the middle of the adjustment range.

Go ride/do your thing, and see how it feels. If it bottoms out a lot, you need to turn the compression adjusters (the bottom ones) in. Go two clicks at a time on each side, go ride, and fine tune from there.

You're eventually going to want to have the correct springs for your weight if you don't already so the forks work like they should, but this will at least get you started with some basic suspension tuning. Try all sorts of different adjustments, keeping track of everything, until you find a setting that works best for your riding. It'll take some patience, but will pay off...even with those forks, which are generally regarded as not very good in stock form. Something as simple as Race Tech Gold Valves will do wonders for those forks as you progress.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RockerYZWR

Posted February 13, 2015 - 07:48 PM

The other thing to do is read up on how to set your rear sag on the bike. That's the single most important adjustment you can make to affect its handling. Front and rear suspensions work together, and if one isn't right, the other will be off, and the whole thing will be messed up and will handle like caca. Definitely Google/YouTube that one.

• Snrub0800

Posted February 14, 2015 - 08:34 AM

Ok thanks, I'll read up on that

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.