2003 WR450 Trailtech Vapor - or something else?

13 replies to this topic
  • toten

Posted February 13, 2015 - 05:03 PM

My bike is street legal(ish) and set up for supermoto, but the 17s don't have a speedometer drive (not like it would be accurate anyway). While the Vapor has been around a while, I haven't heard of anything else in a similar price range that people like better. 

Trailtech lists 2 different versions for it - one that's for generic inverted fork bikes, and another that's for 95-04 YZ/YZF/WR. The 05+ uses a different model. 

Can anyone tell me what the difference is, and which I should buy? Or is there some other option that I should go for? 

• stevethe

Posted February 16, 2015 - 03:25 PM

My bike is street legal(ish) and set up for supermoto, but the 17s don't have a speedometer drive (not like it would be accurate anyway). While the Vapor has been around a while, I haven't heard of anything else in a similar price range that people like better. 

Trailtech lists 2 different versions for it - one that's for generic inverted fork bikes, and another that's for 95-04 YZ/YZF/WR. The 05+ uses a different model. 

Can anyone tell me what the difference is, and which I should buy? Or is there some other option that I should go for?

If you have an 03 use the one for that bike or simply call Trailtech and ask them.

• toten

Posted February 16, 2015 - 04:32 PM

They list 2 different options for it (as well as two colors of each). 

• flyandride

Posted February 16, 2015 - 08:54 PM

I've put Vapors on a couple bikes, both inverted and regular forks.  The computer is the same on all Vapor kits, the only difference was the hardware that mounted the speed sensor to the forks.  And they supply the right size temperature sensor for the radiator hose or a sensor that replaces the spark plug washer on air heads.  The computer is available in black or silver and you can get a trim piece with indicator lights.  Vapors come with a cheap plastic mount that fits around the handlebars.  In both cases I've made my own mount from sheet metal.  

• stevethe

Posted February 16, 2015 - 09:49 PM

I've put Vapors on a couple bikes, both inverted and regular forks.  The computer is the same on all Vapor kits, the only difference was the hardware that mounted the speed sensor to the forks.  And they supply the right size temperature sensor for the radiator hose or a sensor that replaces the spark plug washer on air heads.  The computer is available in black or silver and you can get a trim piece with indicator lights.  Vapors come with a cheap plastic mount that fits around the handlebars.  In both cases I've made my own mount from sheet metal.  

Humph they don't make pink ones. :p  Well then that option is out. :ride:

• JVP

Posted February 19, 2015 - 09:10 AM

Don't waste your money.  Trailtech computers are crap.  They are cheaply made in China and they will stop working after moderate trail riding use due to vibration.  You are better off buying a good GPS system and using their features to obtain ride data and they have the added benefit of telling you where your are and where you have been.

• toten

Posted February 19, 2015 - 10:41 AM

I found one on ebay for the right price yesterday ($95 shipped for the right kit, in black) so I bought it. Hopefully it doesn't fall apart. 

It's mostly a road-going supermoto, and I'd rather have something other than just a GPS. The tach is nice too. What's a good GPS option if I decide to go that way sometime in the future?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThumpMe

Posted February 20, 2015 - 08:04 AM

I have two, each are a different style on a couple different bikes.

On my '03 I have the Endurance model (battery operated only) and the '99 has the Vapor model.

Vapor runs off bike power when the bike is running as the 99's from the factory do not have a battery installed on the bike. The '99's WR's are AC ONLY. I like the Vapor MUCH better. It has more features, is easier to operate, as well as set, and goes a lot longer between battery changes as it's battery is just back up rather than full time. The Vapors also run on AC or DC so will fit either bike!

I like it so much I have bought a Vapor to update the '03 to, but have not gotten to that installation yet.

I agree with the previous post from flyandride in that the plastic mounts included with them are pretty cheap. I also built my own mount but used a couple inches of inch by inch by one eighth inch thick aluminum angle. I mount them both right behind the front headlight/number plate plastic to the top triple tree using an existing hole that was there so they are pretty well protected.

I have crashed and beat the crap out of them for several years and have had no issues whatsoever. They are spot on
both in speed indicated as well as odometer reading once you get the correct diameter of your wheel plugged in to them too.

For the money and ease of installation I do not think they can be beat.

• stevethe

Posted February 20, 2015 - 08:16 AM

I found one on ebay for the right price yesterday ($95 shipped for the right kit, in black) so I bought it. Hopefully it doesn't fall apart. 

It's mostly a road-going supermoto, and I'd rather have something other than just a GPS. The tach is nice too. What's a good GPS option if I decide to go that way sometime in the future?

Mine lasted 10,000 miles on my Supermoto. I'm on vapor #2 now.

• toten

Posted February 20, 2015 - 08:21 AM

Regarding mounting, I'm strongly considering buying the HighwayDirtBikes handguards if they'll fit around my Brembo radial master. They have a nice mount for the Vapor, too. 

• ThumpMe

Posted February 20, 2015 - 08:27 AM

HDB stuff IS nice. You pay for what you get!

• toten

Posted February 20, 2015 - 08:53 AM

Yep, they aren't cheap but I'm not broke. The reason I have a 2003 rather than something newer is that I found it street legal, which is uncommon in CA... the fact that it was already set up very nicely for supermoto helps too. Of course I could buy a newer KTM but I'm not looking to spend quite that much.

• ThumpMe

Posted February 20, 2015 - 06:58 PM

Yeah here in New Mexico "they" are in the process of going back and revoking street legal status on blue bikes that they DID allow to be licensed!

I hear tell if it was licensed AFTER 2007 when you send in your license fee when it is due,  they do not send you back a new license sticker but an OFFROAD ONLY sticker. JERKS! 

• toten

Posted February 20, 2015 - 07:53 PM

If that happens I'd either convert it to dirt only and sell off the supermoto stuff or part out the whole thing. The price wasn't too bad to begin with, $3500 including stock wheels with barely used factory tires. The 17s are very nice, Excel rims on Talon hubs, Brembo radial master cylinder, Braking 4 piston billet caliper, Braking 320mm brake rotor, most of a set of plastics. A DRZ would go for around the same price, I think I'm a lot happier with this. 

I sure hope it doesn't happen though... but I have tags through January so that's the soonest they could possibly revoke. From what I've been told, the way it was registered it should stay good (brought in with a TX plate and "7600" miles on it). You're allowed to bring in non-CA emissions vehicles if they have at least 7500 miles on them, and he bought the bike 5 or 6 years ago, no problems yet. I'm not dual registering it, just street registering, because I think they're more likely to look at dual registered bikes. Sadly, if they do ever yank the plate it'll get a red sticker rather than a green sticker. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.