Wossner pistons

27 replies to this topic
  • cjjeepercreeper

Posted February 12, 2015 - 04:19 PM

I've used wossner and wiseco. Never had a problem with either. I think the wossner is a work of art. Very nice Pistons. I wouldn't hesitate with one.

And yes, to get back to original point.  I have never used them, but I've heard Wossners are excellent.  BTW, we are currently running Wisecos in a 277cc XR250R and a CRF450R.  Both bikes are ridden hard.

• 05CRF250

Posted February 12, 2015 - 06:00 PM

To answer your question, yes wossners are fantastic. I have used them on a kx80 and a crf450 and they were flawless. Everything measured right on spec and am yet to hear any negative feedback about their products.

• grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2015 - 07:05 PM

The remark about too much taper on the piston is accurate, if mid-stated slightly. Pistons are not cylindrical in shape, but rather more like a barrel. The shape needs to be correct, because it's extremely important to appropriate load vectoring and piston stabilization.

Wiseco pistons have a reputation for being noisier than stock, even in a new OEM cylinder. If you think that the new cylinder is the wrong shape or size, you can stay with that argument, but it won't hold up. CP, JE, Wossner, and a number of others make pistons that perform flawlessly without the noise and all the bouncing and slamming around that causes it.

My preference, though, is OEM.

• zotis777

Posted February 12, 2015 - 07:34 PM

The remark about too much taper on the piston is accurate, if mid-stated slightly. Pistons are not cylindrical in shape, but rather more like a barrel. The shape needs to be correct, because it's extremely important to appropriate load vectoring and piston stabilization.

Wiseco pistons have a reputation for being noisier than stock, even in a new OEM cylinder. If you think that the new cylinder is the wrong shape or size, you can stay with that argument, but it won't hold up. CP, JE, Wossner, and a number of others make pistons that perform flawlessly without the noise and all the bouncing and slamming around that causes it.

My preference, though, is OEM.

I don't doubt anything your saying, you're always very credible and that information lines up with everything else I've observed and heard before,

Just one thing, out of genuine curiosity, why is it I have a wiseco in my bike and it's not loud? My bike isn't nearly as clanky and slappy as I've heard from other forged Pistons and bikes with too much clearance around the skirt

Is there any particular reason? Or is it more or less a game of chance?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 12, 2015 - 08:27 PM

I couldn't begin to guess why yours is quiet. Everyone I know who has used one in a four stroke has complained about it. The one I had apart had a low hour Wiseco in it with clearance per specification. We replaced it with a CP and it was fine. Nothing done to the bore except a quick touch up with a ball hone.

• zotis777

Posted February 12, 2015 - 08:45 PM

I couldn't begin to guess why yours is quiet. Everyone I know who has used one in a four stroke has complained about it. The one I had apart had a low hour Wiseco in it with clearance per specification. We replaced it with a CP and it was fine. Nothing done to the bore except a quick touch up with a ball hone.

I forgot we were in 4 stroke, mine is not, my bike is a two stroke, nonetheless appreciate it, figure it would be a Vague question but couldn't help from asking

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2015 - 08:16 AM

Wiseco's two-stroke pistons haven't produced the same kind of complaint, and I have personally used them in pingers and been happy with them. In fact, they were kind of a standard back then.   Two-stroke pistons are naturally far more stable in the bore than the ultra short "slipper" style pistons in use in high performance 4T's by virtue of their length.  The length, of course, is a matter of necessity, as the piston has to run across all the holes in the bore.  Plus, most stock 2T pistons are cast, whereas most OEM 4T HP pistons are forged in the first place.

• Adam842

Posted February 13, 2015 - 03:55 PM

I decided im gonna go with wossner. thanks  for all the replies

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.