Wossner pistons

27 replies to this topic
  • Adam842

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:08 PM

Have any of you guys had experience with wossner 4 stroke pistons? Im deciding on what brand of piston to get, Any imput is appreciated

• cjjeepercreeper

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:21 PM

Have any of you guys had experience with wossner 4 stroke pistons? Im deciding on what brand of piston to get, Any imput is appreciated

Just one word...Wiseco.  I have been using their pistons since the early 70s, a quality product, never had a failure.

• wdswkr22

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:31 PM

Do Wisco's make as much noise in a four stroke as they do a two stroke ?
I put them in a 440 SRX years ago, didn't run it an hour and ordered up oem's. Too much taper to the pistons caused them to rattle excessively. I couldn't listen to it, annoyed the heck out of me.

• Adam842

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:33 PM

Im not getting wiesco. My local mechanic had to many 4 strokes top end go out using wiesco. 

• cjjeepercreeper

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:34 PM

I put them in a 440 SRX years ago, didn't run it an hour and ordered up oem's. Too much taper to the pistons caused them to rattle excessively. I couldn't listen to it, annoyed the heck out of me.

Sound more like a lousy bore job.  Never heard of that problem in all the years I've been using them.  They are forged, the proper clearance is critical.

• Adam842

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:35 PM

Sound more like a lousy bore job.  Never heard of that problem in all the years I've been using them.  They are forged, the proper clearance is critical.

do you have a 2 stroke or 4 stroke

• cjjeepercreeper

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:36 PM

Im not getting wiesco. My local mechanic had to many 4 strokes top end go out using wiesco. 

Then he doesn't know what he is doing.  I've been using them for 40 years without a failure.

• cjjeepercreeper

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:38 PM

do you have a 2 stroke or 4 stroke

The first time I ever used Wiseco pistons was in a 1970 Kawasaki 2 stroke triple.  And now, 40 years later, I have a Wiseco 277 kit in my XR250R.

• Adam842

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:38 PM

Then he doesn't know what he is doing.  I've been using them for 40 years without a failure.

He knows what he is doing. He just said over the years he saw that wiesco dont last as long as other brands such as wossner and je

• Adam842

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:40 PM

My mechanic said he just dont like putting them in a 4 stroke race bike. He says hell put them in a 2 stroke though

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zotis777

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:41 PM

The bore was tapered, not the piston. That or you just plain old had too much clearance.

And they can't make the same noise in an mx 4 stroke, mx bike 4 stroke Pistons have tiny skirts, the piston would likely turn sideways in the bore soon after it was audible

Edited by zotis777, February 12, 2015 - 03:41 PM.

• zotis777

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:42 PM

He knows what he is doing. He just said over the years he saw that wiesco dont last as long as other brands such as wossner and je

Not the fault of the piston, there are tons of factors that contribute to piston wear

• Adam842

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:45 PM

Not the fault of the piston, there are tons of factors that contribute to piston wear

i know but he used wiesco on his personal mx bike and had 2 of them go out quicker than his wossner and je pistons would. 

• cjjeepercreeper

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:51 PM

i know but he used wiesco on his personal mx bike and had 2 of them go out quicker than his wossner and je pistons would. 

How does a piston "go out"?  Poor maintenance.  Bad bore job.  Mistake on reassembly.  A company wouldn't be in business as long as they have been if their pistons "go out".  Sounds to me like the guy doesn't know what he is doing.

• Adam842

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:54 PM

How does a piston "go out"?  Poor maintenance.  Bad bore job.  Mistake on reassembly.  A company wouldn't be in business as long as they have been if their pistons "go out".  Sounds to me like the guy doesn't know what he is doing.

maybe he just had bad luck with wiesco. He knows what he is doing otherwise he wouldnt have a good reputation and would be out of buisness

• wdswkr22

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:56 PM

The bore on the SRX is chrome, and one cylinder was brand new. Same clearance on the skirts in both cylinders.
The sled pistons are a tapered piston that are supposed to expand with heat to accommodate the taper from what I had always read.
Bikes and sleds do run in different environments, so it is possible the bike Pistons don't use as much taper.
Glad to hear they have been good to use for you. I have a TT350 that I am still considering doing a rebuild on. I may give the Wisco's another try.

• problem_child

Posted February 12, 2015 - 04:00 PM

but constantly failing cranks are ok?

• zotis777

Posted February 12, 2015 - 04:06 PM

The bore on the SRX is chrome, and one cylinder was brand new. Same clearance on the skirts in both cylinders.
The sled pistons are a tapered piston that are supposed to expand with heat to accommodate the taper from what I had always read.
Bikes and sleds do run in different environments, so it is possible the bike Pistons don't use as much taper.
Glad to hear they have been good to use for you. I have a TT350 that I am still considering doing a rebuild on. I may give the Wisco's another try.

Did not know sleds were more tapered

More warm up time?

Perhaps more wa

• hadfield4wd

Posted February 12, 2015 - 04:15 PM

I've used wossner and wiseco. Never had a problem with either. I think the wossner is a work of art. Very nice Pistons. I wouldn't hesitate with one.

• cjjeepercreeper

Posted February 12, 2015 - 04:17 PM

but constantly failing cranks are ok?

The cranks are a side thing to them, if you go to their website what they talk about mainly is their American made pistons.  I have never used a Wiseco crankshaft, but I hear they are foreign made.  We're talking about 70 year of making pistons here, not crankshafts.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.