Breather Hose?

12 replies to this topic
  • Dune Ready

Posted February 12, 2015 - 11:05 AM

I have a 2013 YZ 450.  I am curious about the breather hose that comes off the valve cover and runs all the way to the bottom of the engine.  I ride single track and at the dunes.  Recently when I took the valve cover off, I notice sand had been coming up the breather hose.  My question is:  Does that hose need to be that long? I would like to cut it off shorter and put an UNI filter on the end of it.  Is there any reason I should not do this?  

Thank you for your input

• Goforaride

Posted February 12, 2015 - 12:44 PM

There are a few different options from adding a filter to re routing it to your air box. Search "breather hose mod" you will find everything you want to know.

• Dune Ready

Posted February 12, 2015 - 01:34 PM

But by doing either one,  it doesn't cause damage right?

• Goforaride

Posted February 12, 2015 - 02:31 PM

But by doing either one, it doesn't cause damage right?

damage no. If you choose to run it into your airbox, you may have to cut or drill a hole, but neither that nor the filter option will damage your motor. I am however skeptical of the air box route as it adds hot air to the intake system. This may or may alter the performance considering that our fi bikes have an air temp sensor. But again it wont damage anything and may be worth it compared to damaging your motor from sucking in crap. I recently pulled my cover off and found a bunch of fir neddles had been sucked in. Im considering my options also. I will probably go the filter route

• Dune Ready

Posted February 12, 2015 - 03:08 PM

Yeah I am just going to put a filter on it.  Thank you for you time and input

• Goforaride

Posted February 12, 2015 - 04:24 PM

Yeah I am just going to put a filter on it. Thank you for you time and input

although i am considering a filter, i have always had hondas and yamahas. Both have this issue and i have never before changed anything with the vent hose. No bike i have ever had wore out what i would call prematurely. That said i think doing anything with the vent is more of a personal preference for peace of mind more than anything.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dune Ready

Posted February 12, 2015 - 04:28 PM

I just have concerns, because I only had about 50 hours on my bike and I broke a bucket, which caused the engine to seize.  It could have just been a faulty part, but there was some sand in there, so I don't know if that was the cause.

• Goforaride

Posted February 12, 2015 - 05:42 PM

Did you replace the valves? If not you should. Good chance its bent.

• Dune Ready

Posted February 12, 2015 - 05:47 PM

I replaced all the valves. Springs. Piston. Rod. Crank. Literally everything just to be safe!

• Goforaride

Posted February 12, 2015 - 06:14 PM

Sweet. Ride on

• Slow and Jerky

Posted February 13, 2015 - 04:15 AM

I had to repalce the head on my YZ because of sand coming up the breather hose.

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2015 - 10:17 AM

When adding a filter to the end and nothing else, be careful to avoid restricting flow.  If crankcase pressure is allowed to rise too far, it can push out the half moon sections of the cam box gasket. 

The best procedure is to place a T about 6" down from the cam cover and run a second branch hose back to the air box.  This reduces the ability of the piston upstroke to raise anything up the tube by more than 100% while allowing expelled oil to drain away normally.  You can add a filter to either or both ends, or not at all.

• Dune Ready

Posted February 13, 2015 - 12:23 PM

Grey, is there a specific topic that might have picture of this?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.