12V DC connection

4 replies to this topic
  • Robert_Brazil

Posted February 10, 2004 - 06:38 AM

I own a WR450F 2004, finally a bike that allows me to substitute the batteries of my rally equipmente (computer/GPS etc) for a direct power supply.

Who can tell me which color cable (located behind the front lamp unit) is the one that supplies clean stable 12V DC? Tks!

Posted February 10, 2004 - 07:28 AM

Actually there may not be a good source of DC behind the headlight as all the lights and such are run off the AC magneto. The only thing the DC circuit does is charge the battery and operate the starter. Your best bet is to run a set of wires (properly fused of course) directly from the battery.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Frostbite

Posted February 10, 2004 - 08:09 AM

I power my GPS with a cig lighter adapter that I installed on my sled. Since I have no battery I had to put an adapter kit with capacitor in to make the power smooth and useable. Polaris sells the factory kit and I don't see why it won't work on a bike.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted February 10, 2004 - 07:23 PM

Lighting is all AC, be had a long thread on conversions and rectifiers complete with diagrams on building your own AC to DC converter (rectifier) with shock absorber (capacitor), maybe a search. It was in this section, ie WR400/426/450 :)

• ddialogue

Posted February 11, 2004 - 05:05 AM

Your best bet is to run a set of wires (properly fused of course) directly from the battery.

This is how I setup my configuration for the brake light switch, the horn and the power supply for the gps. Works like a charm! :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.