top end questions

15 replies to this topic
  • Yzrider1023

Posted February 08, 2015 - 05:56 PM

so i bought a 2006 yz 450f a few months ago now and now it burnt a half quart of oil in 6 hours of riding so i think its top end time i have a few questions on it though 1 is it worth doing it yourself? 2 are there any special tools i need ? 3 how easy is it to do?

• billygildark5007

Posted February 08, 2015 - 06:23 PM

Is the exhaust smoking when running? If yes and it's a more bluefish color than white or black it's burning oil. The piston rings or valve seals being the most likely culprits.
For the top end you need
Service Manuel (most valuable tool)
Metric socket set and Allen set
Normal hand tools
A good torque wrench
Piston ring compressor
Valve spring compressor (if replacing valves)
Feeler gauges

If it's your first top end you'll have fun if your not mechanically inclined. just take your time and follow the service Manuel, they'll be a few mistakes on the way but consider them a learning experience. Once you get threw your first they are easy

• billygildark5007

Posted February 08, 2015 - 06:26 PM

Also post in the make/model specific. All your future questions or problems in the build can be answered there.

• Yzrider1023

Posted February 08, 2015 - 06:35 PM

Is the exhaust smoking when running? If yes and it's a more bluefish color than white or black it's burning oil. The piston rings or valve seals being the most likely culprits.
For the top end you need
Service Manuel (most valuable tool)
Metric socket set and Allen set
Normal hand tools
A good torque wrench
Piston ring compressor
Valve spring compressor (if replacing valves)
Feeler gauges

If it's your first top end you'll have fun if your not mechanically inclined. just take your time and follow the service Manuel, they'll be a few mistakes on the way but consider them a learning experience. Once you get threw your first they are easy

It smokes when I start it up then once its running it doesn't smoke but the exhaust smells weird

• billygildark5007

Posted February 08, 2015 - 06:51 PM

Sounds like you might need valve seals. Hopefully not the guides or the seats. But you will only know if you tear into it.

• Yzrider1023

Posted February 08, 2015 - 06:56 PM

Sounds like you might need valve seals. Hopefully not the guides or the seats. But you will only know if you tear into it.

Would it burn through that much oil from just valve seals?

• billygildark5007

Posted February 08, 2015 - 07:34 PM

Possible. Oil should only enter the combustion chamber threw the bottom ( bad piston rings) or threw the top (threw the valves). Since the smoking goes away at rpm it's more likely the valves. Maybe the seals went bad over time or the valve stem is bending causing the seal to leak. Either way it's gotta be fixed.
Have your valve clearances changed in the last few rides?

• grayracer513

Posted February 09, 2015 - 07:24 AM

"Through"

The "weird" smell could be coolant, probably from a head gasket.  All the same, time for a top end.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yzrider1023

Posted February 09, 2015 - 07:28 AM

"Through"

The "weird" smell could be coolant, probably from a head gasket. All the same, time for a top end.

I'm not burning coolant though it smells more like oil burning than coolant

• Slow and Jerky

Posted February 09, 2015 - 05:52 PM

All things considered the top end is not bad, normal tools, good torque wrench and feeler gauges. You won't need to pull the engine. You don't need a ring compressor. Download the manual if you don't have one. I recommend getting OEM parts, particularly the gaskets. Chances are it is the the rings but while you have it apart it wouldn't hurt to change the valve seals (which  requires a valve spring compressor) and replace the timing chain. Keep in mind that you can't "lap" the valves on these, so if they are leaking you will need to have the seats ground, etc. Take your time and take pictures!

• billygildark5007

Posted February 10, 2015 - 07:43 AM

[quote name="Slow and Jerky" post="12201166" timestamp="1423533170". You don't need a ring compressor.

I am curious how do you do rings without one?

• Yzrider1023

Posted February 10, 2015 - 07:54 AM

[quote name="billygildark5007" post="12202381" timestamp="1423583009"][quote name="Slow and Jerky" post="12201166" timestamp="1423533170". You don't need a ring compressor.

I am curious how do you do rings without one?[/quote]

You can roll them on which I wouldn't recommend it can weaken the rings there's a video on YouTube on how to install them without a ring compresser

• billygildark5007

Posted February 10, 2015 - 08:57 AM

I'm sorry I'll rephrase my ? How do you get the piston in the cylinder without one?

• grayracer513

Posted February 10, 2015 - 09:10 AM

You compress the rings by hand, using the slots at the base for and assist.  Be VERY careful not to snag the exposed ends of the oil ring scraper rails as you go, or you may roll one out of the groove and fold it over.  That, BTW, can happen with or without a compressor.

• Slow and Jerky

Posted February 10, 2015 - 09:17 AM

The bottom of the cylinder has a slight bevel, but like gray said you have to be careful not to let the oil rings catch. 

• billygildark5007

Posted February 10, 2015 - 02:51 PM

Interesting. I've never seen or done it that way before.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.