Value of a yz400f?

11 replies to this topic
  • Adam842

Posted February 07, 2015 - 06:02 PM

How much do you guys think my 98 yz400f is worth. It has a new rod, rod bearings, crank bearings, valves, cams, head, clutch, water pump, oil pump, woesner piston, freshly done cylinder. It also has new full fmf exhaust and is jetted for it. Do you guys think it would be worth selling or just keep it

• BushPig

Posted February 07, 2015 - 06:04 PM

How much do you guys think my 98 yz400f is worth. It has a new rod, rod bearings, crank bearings, valves, cams, head, clutch, water pump, oil pump, woesner piston, freshly done cylinder. It also has new full fmf exhaust and is jetted for it. Do you guys think it would be worth selling or just keep it

If you don't need the cash I wouldn't sell it.

You probably won't get back money you have spent rebuilding or modifying.

• Adam842

Posted February 07, 2015 - 06:08 PM

ok. what would you pay for it. Im just thinking of getting a 2 stroke for the woods

• not_again

Posted February 07, 2015 - 06:16 PM

It's in the $1000-$1500 range depending on curb appeal and your particular location. Probably not worth selling after investing that much into fixing it up.

• SabbathHead

Posted February 07, 2015 - 06:55 PM

I'd just hang on to it, now you know whats been done to it and whats been fixed/needs fixed. You'll never get your money back for the time spent on it. Thats why I keep my '04.

• Adam842

Posted February 08, 2015 - 10:23 AM

ok. ill just keep it. How does it compare to newer bikes. Is it much slower and how is it compared to a 250 2stroke in a drag race

Edited by Adam842, February 08, 2015 - 10:31 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • not_again

Posted February 08, 2015 - 02:26 PM

ok. ill just keep it. How does it compare to newer bikes. Is it much slower and how is it compared to a 250 2stroke in a drag race

They aren't really much slower. More like smooth with less hit on top. The nice thing about the YZ/WR 400 is that the piston has a longer skirt so they run more hours. They'll easily run with a similar year two stroke 250.

• Adam842

Posted February 08, 2015 - 02:29 PM

They aren't really much slower. More like smooth with less hit on top. The nice thing about the YZ/WR 400 is that the piston has a longer skirt so they run more hours. They'll easily run with a similar year two stroke 250.

ok. one of my buddies has an old wr250 2stroke that is stock. He thinks he will wax my yz400f but we cant race bc im waiting on a new piston now. He wants to bet but im not sure. My yzf is bored to a 426 and jetted for the full fmf exhaust. What do you think

• not_again

Posted February 08, 2015 - 02:55 PM

ok. one of my buddies has an old wr250 2stroke that is stock. He thinks he will wax my yz400f but we cant race bc im waiting on a new piston now. He wants to bet but im not sure. My yzf is bored to a 426 and jetted for the full fmf exhaust. What do you think

You'll beat him easy on most types of terrain. Not that those old WR two strokes are slow but you'll hook up better. Hold it wide open and short shift while he spins his tire like crazy.

• Adam842

Posted February 08, 2015 - 03:07 PM

You'll beat him easy on most types of terrain. Not that those old WR two strokes are slow but you'll hook up better. Hold it wide open and short shift while he spins his tire like crazy.

ok thats what is was thinking. He barely beat a stock xr400 in a race on the road. 

• not_again

Posted February 08, 2015 - 03:45 PM

ok thats what is was thinking. He barely beat a stock xr400 in a race on the road. 

Well there ya go. A YZ400 has a TON more power than an XR400. Tell your buddy that and see if he shuts up.

• Adam842

Posted February 13, 2015 - 03:48 PM

Well there ya go. A YZ400 has a TON more power than an XR400. Tell your buddy that and see if he shuts up

Thats what i tried telling him but he still thinks its a turd. Guess ill just have to embarass him in a few weeks when its finished

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.