Tall Rider

11 replies to this topic
  • SDMF

Posted February 09, 2004 - 04:25 PM

I'm 6'5" 245lbs..What is the best way to lift or raise my handlebars to fit my height?

• qadsan

Posted February 09, 2004 - 05:21 PM

There's a few different ways to go. If you ever plan on running a steering damper (i.e. Scotts, GPR, etc), then consider buying a new triple clamp that raises and moves the the bars forward a bit that also accepts the damper you plan to buy. The other method is to use Thumper Racing bar risers which you can buy from various aftermarket shops. There's a lot of bar choices out there and the Jimmy Button bend is popular with taller riders. I've been using the CR-HI bend with good results and I'm 6'5", but I'd probably be happier if they were a bit taller. Depending on how high you raise the bars, you may also have to buy new cables.

The Jimmy Button bars by themselves do not warrant new cables, but if you add bar risers or a new triple clamp that moves the bars forward and higher, then you'll likely need longer cables.

• jws

Posted February 09, 2004 - 05:47 PM

i am 6'4 - i use the thumper racing bar risers and the jimmy button renthals - the stock cables work you just need to reroute them. :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

jeff :D

• qadsan

Posted February 09, 2004 - 06:13 PM

i use the thumper racing bar risers and the jimmy button renthals - the stock cables work you just need to reroute them.

That's good to know cause I was told by another person that the cables were too short, but he was running the 1.5" tall bar risers with the Jimmy Button bars? I don't have any first hand experience with the bar risers or Button bend bars, so it very nice to have your input.

Are your risers 1" or 1.5" tall?

I remember him having to run the cables over the top of the tank mount and turning the throttle housing so the cables faced backwards to make the most of them, but he had to run the decompressor cable underneath everything else. At first his bike stalled when the handlebars were turned all the way to the side, so he had to loosen the adjustment on the decompressor cable to stop that from happening and the decompressor still functioned just fine.

• MrGadget

Posted February 09, 2004 - 06:59 PM

I'm looking for bar risers too, but for my XR400. Nice pictures posted. I found this site with risers for XRs http://www.zianet.com/genmar/

• qadsan

Posted February 09, 2004 - 07:03 PM

Here's another link for Bar risers in both 1 and 1.5 inch versions made by Thumper for XR's.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FlyByWire

Posted February 09, 2004 - 07:53 PM

I picked up the Thumper risers as well. I got the 1.5 raise, I am very pleased with the fit. I run the Button bars as well.

• qadsan

Posted February 09, 2004 - 08:02 PM

FlyByWire, did your stock cables work? Was there any slack or did they just barely reach?

• MrGadget

Posted February 09, 2004 - 08:37 PM

I'd like to know also.

I'm looking at Jimmy Button bars and risers too. I think I need the grips to be about 2" higher than stock, and will try the JB bars first and see where that gets me.

It looks like the stock bars and Renthal JB bars are the same 7/8" diameter. Is this true?

• jws

Posted February 10, 2004 - 02:53 AM

they are the 1.5 risers with the buttons - they do work but it is tight - i had the same problem with the decomp at first when i would turn sharp it would kill the bike - i now run the perch in a little on the bars and that cured the problem :D i have 8 pics of my set up and how a did the cables i can email them to you guys just pm me your email :)

jeff :D

• MrGadget

Posted February 10, 2004 - 05:01 AM

JWS, I sent you a P/M for the pics. Thanks in advance. All your help and pics have helped tons. :)

• FlyByWire

Posted February 10, 2004 - 07:21 AM

I had no problems with the cables, I had to re-route them just a little, but thats it. I got the reccomendation from JWS as well. Best thing I've done to the bike aside from suspension.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.