Yz450 stator. Help!

3 replies to this topic
  • 2_strokin

Posted February 06, 2015 - 05:37 AM

I tested my stator and 2 of the numbers where higher than they were supposed to be that mean it's bad or do the numbers have to read lower and/or 0 for it to be bad?

• 2_strokin

Posted February 06, 2015 - 06:03 AM

The reason I ask about my stator is bc the bike was killing out when it got hot and wouldn't start till cool again and now the has no spark at all and will not start

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2_strokin

Posted February 06, 2015 - 06:04 AM

Checked the plug coil and it was good but the stator was not reading within the specs that the manual gave the numbers were higher.

• kx450f63

Posted February 06, 2015 - 06:41 AM

When trying to diagnose a problem it is best to talk about specifics.  At this point I assume you are speaking of measuring the resistance through the magnetic coils on the stator. 

Yes, if the resistance is measured properly and it is higher than the designed spec. given in the manual then most likely you have an issue with the stator, such as an open coil.

Diagnosing an ignition system that does not have spark can be a daunting task for the uneducated.  Basically take your time, read the manual until you completely comprehend what they are trying to convey to you, then test and re-test until you can duplicate your results several times.

The easiest way to find the problem is to have a donor bike with know good parts and swap parts until you find the problem.  Then inspect the faulty part until you understand why it is faulty, if you care to know, why.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.