New '16 WR450

86 replies to this topic
  • GHILL28

Posted March 11, 2015 - 09:26 PM

Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

I will never ever consider a non-kickstart bike for serious offroad use.  I don't care about this "proper maintenance" crap about the e-start systems.  They still have problems.  Know how much maintenance a kickstarter needs?  A torque wrench and some silicone goop around it (or safety wire).  Once.

About the only thing the current REALLY YZ450F needs from the factory is a high output stator and maybe a 6th gear.  The rest is easy aftermarket stuff.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 11, 2015 - 10:45 PM

The kick starter is just removed and plugged

• AtomicGeo

Posted March 12, 2015 - 05:44 AM

It should have a kick start.  I would not solely depend alone on e-start.

• stevethe

Posted March 12, 2015 - 06:29 AM

It should have a kick start.  I would not solely depend alone on e-start.

Once apon a time they used hand cranks to start cars.

• AtomicGeo

Posted March 12, 2015 - 06:32 AM

Once apon a time they used hand cranks to start cars.

Alot more people drive cars than motos...

• Arctic Pride

Posted March 12, 2015 - 06:44 AM

Just want it to be 50 state plateable...not holding my breath

• RMK800

Posted March 12, 2015 - 07:45 AM

Complexity is the enemy of reliability.

I will never ever consider a non-kickstart bike for serious offroad use. I don't care about this "proper maintenance" crap about the e-start systems. They still have problems. Know how much maintenance a kickstarter needs? A torque wrench and some silicone goop around it (or safety wire). Once.

About the only thing the current REALLY YZ450F needs from the factory is a high output stator and maybe a 6th gear. The rest is easy aftermarket stuff.

The MX bike doesn't really need a 6th gear. We want that in the 450FX enduro.

• GHILL28

Posted March 12, 2015 - 07:47 AM

I meant for it to be a competent off road bike, minus easy aftermarket stuff.

• mrtt

Posted March 14, 2015 - 11:16 AM

Just want it to be 50 state plateable...not holding my breath

in Australia WR450F come street legal from factory. Somehow in north American, someone want to make WR450F a hassle to get plated.

• MikeID

Posted March 14, 2015 - 01:01 PM

I'm really curious as to how the 16 will feel compared to the 12-15. I'd suspect weight would be similar.

While I never bought one of the 12-15, I still think they are really cool.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Monk

Posted March 14, 2015 - 01:10 PM

I'm really curious as to how the 16 will feel compared to the 12-15. I'd suspect weight would be similar.

While I never bought one of the 12-15, I still think they are really cool.

They feel greatly different...

• iggs

Posted March 14, 2015 - 07:00 PM

They feel greatly different...

in what way?

• Monk

Posted March 14, 2015 - 07:14 PM

in what way?

The 2012 WR450 (completely stripped of everything of excess weight) I raced felt front end heavy and heavy decompression braking. The `15 YZ450F I have feels very front end light and overall feels lighter while in motion. Two different feeling bikes. If a new WR450 is based off the newest YZF chassis, I think it will be an amazing bike...

• patrick2wd

Posted March 15, 2015 - 05:17 AM

as long as the WR also has a 6-speed g/b, which I would expect,

as the WR250 has one too,

would be weird if they didnt fitted that,

and I'd expect it would be (slightly) heavier, duo to (bigger) battery and starter.. so I say, plus 5 kgs.

and preferred battery is a regular lead battery,

the YZ injection system seems to dislike the lithium ion power surges with low battery...

Looking forward to the first WR 2016 pictures!! :banana: :banana:

• letitsnow

Posted March 15, 2015 - 06:20 AM

In the mean time, I will look to replace my light bike.

Up until 2 years ago I rode 2 strokes only.  I then bought an '06 WR450.  The WR is an awesome do it all machine that always runs.  I use it often.  Even though the WR is a good machine, I missed the instant snap of the 2 strokes when riding single track.  I had had enough of the constant 2 stroke tuning (most are just in denial, but the truth is that it takes a lot of work to keep a 2 stroke running perfectly).  This led me to thinking about the new YZ250fx.  I went to a dealer to look at one, and ended up leaving with a new '14 Husky FC250.  The main difference was that I got the Husky (white KTM) for $1000 less OTD.  The little 250f is really good in the woods.  It has nearly the same snap as the 2 stroke, yet it revs to the moon.  I'm sure that the 250fx is as good or better.  A modern 250f with a good efi system is going to be tough to beat in the single track...  For comparison purposes (I was afraid the 250F wouldn't have much top speed) the FC250 tops out at 71 mph, and the WR at 82 per my GPS.

Edited by letitsnow, March 15, 2015 - 06:25 AM.

• AtomicGeo

Posted March 15, 2015 - 08:10 AM

Up until 2 years ago I rode 2 strokes only.  I then bought an '06 WR450.  The WR is an awesome do it all machine that always runs.  I use it often.  Even though the WR is a good machine, I missed the instant snap of the 2 strokes when riding single track.  I had had enough of the constant 2 stroke tuning (most are just in denial, but the truth is that it takes a lot of work to keep a 2 stroke running perfectly).  This led me to thinking about the new YZ250fx.  I went to a dealer to look at one, and ended up leaving with a new '14 Husky FC250.  The main difference was that I got the Husky (white KTM) for $1000 less OTD.  The little 250f is really good in the woods.  It has nearly the same snap as the 2 stroke, yet it revs to the moon.  I'm sure that the 250fx is as good or better.  A modern 250f with a good efi system is going to be tough to beat in the single track...  For comparison purposes (I was afraid the 250F wouldn't have much top speed) the FC250 tops out at 71 mph, and the WR at 82 per my GPS.

How much does your new FC250 weigh w/ gas ready to ride?

Edited by AtomicGeo, March 15, 2015 - 08:10 AM.

• shrubitup

Posted March 15, 2015 - 09:17 AM

How much does your new FC250 weigh w/ gas ready to ride?

And do it get hot when riding slow? Do it got a fan or ability to add one? $1K less OTD is a smart move.

• Garett0439

Posted March 15, 2015 - 01:14 PM

WE HAVE LIFT OFF!

2015_MXGP_YZ450FM_003_zps61bbz2k7.jpg

Engine

• Model:
  • YZ450F
  • Engine type:
  • liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, DOHC, 4-valves
  • Displacement:
  • 449,7 cc
  • Bore x stroke:
  • 97.0 mm x 60,6 mm
  • Compression ratio:
  • 12.5 : 1
  • Lubrication system:
  • Wet sump
  • Clutch type:
  • Wet, Multiple Disc
  • Fuel system:
  • Fuel Injection
  • Ignition system:
  • TCI
  • Starter system:
  • Electric   <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
  • Transmission system:
  • Constant Mesh, 5-speed
  • Final transmission:
  • Chain

Forgive me for being ignorant but who's bike is this? I want to research it further. I'm guessing somone's in GNCC

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 15, 2015 - 02:23 PM

That is from the Yamaha world site

It has a MXGP sticker, so it is a Western Europe track bike.

It also has a hand-welded swingarm, so it is a factory bike.

http://www.yamaha-ra...ing/mxgp/bike/#

Edited by Kah Ran Nee, March 15, 2015 - 02:27 PM.

• Andrew Puetz

Posted March 15, 2015 - 05:34 PM

what is the advantage of the engine tilted rearwards vs forward?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.